How to sell C&C shares

woods

Can anyone tell me how to go about selling C&C shares. Nothing showing up on Google.

If you have a certificate, your selling broker will need to be in possession of it before he sells.

The broker (Goodbody) does not want to sell small batches of shares. Got companies to see 2 companies but no one to sell C&C.

€8,000 worth.

That should be easy enough to sell.

Why don't you open an online account with Davys.
Then send them your share certs and they will dematerialise them for you, charging you €80.
Then you can sell them online.

Brendan

This is for my someone else and she tells me that she went to Goodbody and they told her that if she only wants to sell shares (she has others as well) and not trade it would cost too much to sign her up as a client and would not be worth it. They sent her to Computershare and while they will handle one they sent her to someone else for another but neither will sell C&C.

Link Asset Services are the registrar. Contact them and ask if they can sell them:

Otherwise, go to a broker as @Brendan Burgess suggested. It'll cost a little, but it's not that small a holding (I've a holding in a UK bank that would cost me it's value to sell, so not doing anything with it).

€8,000 worth.

That should be easy enough to sell.

Why don't you open an online account with Davys.
Then send them your share certs and they will dematerialise them for you, charging you €80.
Then you can sell them online.

Brendan
Hi Brendan,

My father has Kerry Group shares that are worth about €60k at the moment and he would like to sell them (he’s aware of the CGT implications). They are recorded on a good old fashioned paper share certificate.
I have an online Davys account myself and was wondering would it make sense to transfer the shares over to that account and then sell them or would that result in me being hitting with both an Inheritance and CGT tax bill?
What advice would you give in terms of the cheapest way to sell these paper based shares?
Thanks,
R

I have an online Davys account myself and was wondering would it make sense to transfer the shares over to that account and then sell them or would that result in me being hitting with both an Inheritance and CGT tax bill?
What advice would you give in terms of the cheapest way to sell these paper based shares?
Thanks,
R

I'm pretty sure that is viewed as a change in ownership - even though what you are trying to do doesn't change beneficial ownership and you are just using your account as a conduit, I can't see any way it wouldn't be picked up by revenue as a gift. Unless there is some way of documenting the whole process and not declaring it which seems risky

Have you contacted Davy's (or on of the other brokers - or even your Dad's bank). They may have a way of trading with a counterparty with physical certs. It would probably mean a delayed settlement cycle (say 2 weeks) where they accept the share cert and transfer form. They would then dematerialise it into their own account. If they did, it may mean higher transaction charges but might still be less hassle than opening an account, transferring the cert into the account, selling and then closing the account.

Hi Brendan,

My father has Kerry Group shares that are worth about €60k at the moment and he would like to sell them (he’s aware of the CGT implications). They are recorded on a good old fashioned paper share certificate.
Thanks,
R

Hi Dodger,

Thank you for being a Davy Select customer.

We can only lodge a certificate to an account in a name matching the name on the certificate. i.e it is not possible for an individual to lodge/ sell shares belonging to another person on their account. Your father would need to set up an account in order to sell his shares.

If it is a one-time transaction you can request that the account is closed immediately after the sale of the stock and transfer of the proceeds. There would be no charge to lodge the cert as the amount is over €20k.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

Best regards
davyselect

Thanks for the response,

So am I right in saying that the only costs my father would incur so are a maximum up €14.99 on the transaction and 0.5% commissions.
Are there any other costs associated with setting up and retaining a Davys online account?

thanks

Dodger

Thanks for the response,

So am I right in saying that the only costs my father would incur so are a maximum up €14.99 on the transaction and 0.5% commissions.
Are there any other costs associated with setting up and retaining a Davys online account?

thanks

Dodger

Hi Dodger,

The €14.99 and 0.5% commission are one and the same charge. The 0.5% commission has a minimum of €14.99 per trade.

There are no other costs to set up an account. If your father wanted to maintain an account with us afterwards there is a quarterly charge of €50. This charge is reduced by the value of the any commissions incurred during the quarter i.e. if you incurred commission charges of €30 during the quarter the fee would be €20.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

Best regards
davyselect

Hi,

Thanks again for this information, it’s very helpful.
Once my father sets up his online account, what is the actual process for him to dematerialise his paper based shares and transition them over to his account. Is it simply a case of him posting the share certificate to a specific address?

thanks again

D

Back