How to sell 2nd hand Jewellery in Galway?

LMCD

I have an engagement ring I received from a now ex finace. Its valued at €1,000. How can I sell it? I live in the Galway area and have been unable to find any business in The Golden Pages who buys used jewellery.

Re: How to sell Jewellery

I had a friend who was in a similar situation and what she did was use the 3 diamonds and had a pendant and earrings made up. It meant she had a really nice set of diamonds for wearing out.
Sorry to hear of the split cannot have been easy.

Thanks, but it's cash I need at the moment, hence the required sale!

Surely the right thing to do is give back the ring if you are not getting married.

The place where it was bought might buy it back for a lesser amount.

I would have thought the ring is usually returned to the fiance, whatever he would do with it after that.

Enquire at Jewllers, some will deal in 2nd hand. But will give you a fraction of the value.

Surely the right thing to do is give back the ring if you are not getting married.

IMO, its depends on who decided not to get married and why (e.g. if he was having an affair, she should keep the ring, if she was having an affair, she should give the ring back).

Hard to sell second hand jewellery for good price.. Agree with Nell, you'll get fraction of value.

Throw it in the sea to wipe memories and claim insurance?:rolleyes:
Ebay?
Buy and Sell?

I have an engagement ring I received from a now ex finace. Its valued at €1,000. How can I sell it? I live in the Galway area and have been unable to find any business in The Golden Pages who buys used jewellery.

Dublin based but O'Reillys at
[broken link removed] would sell it for you (and some commission).

Other auction houses in the West would probably do the same..
Remember retail purchase price and valuation price will most likely be a long way off the achievable sale price.

given profit margins in jewellry, if you get €400 you will be doing well from any dealer. try buy and sell.

Pawn it? Not sure what the deal is (and presume the cost/rates are not attractive) but perhaps it's an option for quick cash?

Have offered many times to give it back but was told by ex I had "earned it" and to sell it myself, we broke up 4 years ago so I think a respectable length of time has passed now to sell it or pass it on. Jewellers here don't buy second hand jewellery and auction places not interested as it is not classed as "vintage", its too new. Thanks anyway for all the suggestions.

Jewellers here don't buy second hand jewellery and auction places not interested as it is not classed as "vintage", its too new. Thanks anyway for all the suggestions.

Did you try O'Reilly's? I'd be surpirsed if they wouldn't sell it at auction.

General auction houses throughout the country would tend to look only antique rings, though.

Have you an address or number for O reilly's, where are they located?

Throw it in the sea to wipe memories and claim insurance?:rolleyes:

Quite apart from the obvious fact that filing an insurance claim is an odd way to attempt to erase unpleasant memories, given the amount of form-filling involved, surely it is wrong to advocate what is effectively a fraud?

Have you an address or number for O reilly's, where are they located?

See http://www.oreillysfineart.com/

They used to be beside Chirstshurch in Dublin, though they seem to have moved to Francis St. (not that far from there).

The reason I didn't post the link was that someone else already had...

They'll definitely sell it, though you'll probably only get the trade price (less commision), which will be way below retail price. You can set a reserve though: they'll advise on what this should be.

Just one point about places like pawnbrokers etc., O'Reillys sell stuff from pawnbrokers at their auctions, so on the basis that pawnbrokers don't operate on zero margins, you're probably best going straight there yourself.

By the way, I've absolutely no connection with O'Reillys, other than having used them in the past to sell some stuff.

Thanks, that's great, i will try them

Thanks for all the advice

If you're looking to sell your jewellery in Galway, you could try Cash Converters in Mary Street.

Back