How to restart my finances after bankruptcy discharge.

paulgee

So, glad to say I was discharged from Bankruptcy in January and now thinking about how to get back on track. I have opened a credit union account and am saving a bit every week.

I bank with AIB and on bankruptcy, they closed my account with 500 euro overdraft facility (paid off), and they opened me a new basic account. I have a debit card but it doesn't even tap. So my day to day is with Revolut for handiness.

I sent my cert of discharge to my bank - AIB, and they now have it on file.
The week before I sent it in, I clicked on online banking - apply - overdraft and got an error. The week after I sent it in, clicked again and got through to input this and that and we will review. Eventually got declined. I am thinking they are at least looking at it. I have had no crap from AIB, so I figure it may be an idea to go in and talk to them in a couple of months and ask them what their take is on my situation. I have read other experiences here on AAM and notice after a period, the situation does warm a bit.

Has anyone got any ideas of how I should start to build a credit rating again. I believe if I save for 13 weeks, I can get a small loan from the credit union (even though I don't need it) and repay it weekly. Just something to create some good records.

I have got my reports from the CCR and ICB and both are shot. I was forced into bankruptcy during the recession by a vulture fund. I am due to finish college shortly (as a mature student on BTEA) but no sign of work yet so may have to do another year to complete a degree. I know that a paying job, going into the bank regularly would help, but it aint happening just yet

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks folks

Paul

Back