How to remove moss growing on tarmac drive

hamstring

Hi,

just noticed this morning that there are small pieces of moss beginning to grow on my tarmac driveway. What is the best way to get rid of this without damaging the tarmac?

H

I believe diluted bleach is a cheap and effective way of attacking this.

Hi,

just noticed this morning that there are small pieces of moss beginning to grow on my tarmac driveway. What is the best way to get rid of this without damaging the tarmac?

H

Lucky you! There are large pieces of moss firmly established on my tarmac. I used a product called MossGo during the summer and it seemed to work well. But I'm not sure if it will work now due to the cold. This winter the moss seems to have gone in to overdrive. Obviously it is not correlated to recession.

Sulphate of Iron/Salt

Hold on!
Do not attempt to spray or spread sulphate of iron onto tarmacadam unless you want your blacktop to become browntop.
It will leave a stain similar to that which a pice of rusty metal would leave if left on the tarmac for a few months.

[broken link removed]

a 1g Sulphate:2L H2O dilution will not brown Tarmacadam

H2O, really...... That rate will do little to shift moss to be honest. It would have been be no harm if you mentioned the rate in your original post.

To be honest I don't know the dilution rate, but I have heard that its meant to be very good for it....if you don't mind the smell of it around the place for a couple days!!!

RE: Jeyes Fluid

You can use the 'original' or the Patio/Path one

JEYES FLUID ORIGINAL
Jeyes Fluid can be used for a multitude of outdoor cleaning tasks, from neutralising odours and killing bacteria in and around drains, to disinfecting after pet fouling or clearing up wild and domestic bird mess. It is also perfect for clearing fungi, mould and algae from paths, driveways and patios as well as cleaning and disinfecting pots prior to planting.
Size: 300ml, 1lt & 5lt

JEYES PATH, PATIO & DRIVE CLEANER
Effectively removes unsightly dirt, light oil stains and algae from paved areas, concrete stones and walls. Concentrated, non-acidic formula. Safe to use around children and pets.
Size: 2lt

[broken link removed]

I bought washing soda (Soda Crystals) to put in a blocked drain. I notice on the back of the package it says it is suitable for removing moss from paths and patios. Haven't tried it yet but just wondering has anyone use it for removing moss and would there be any danger of it damaging the tarmac.

I bought washing soda (Soda Crystals) to put in a blocked drain. I notice on the back of the package it says it is suitable for removing moss from paths and patios. Haven't tried it yet but just wondering has anyone use it for removing moss and would there be any danger of it damaging the tarmac.

Be careful with washing soda on paths and driveways. It is very slippery.

Hubby won't let me use powerwasher on our tarmac as he feels it could lift the tarmac, so be careful when you use it - just in case!

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Think i'll start with the Jeyes fluid & see how i get on.

Bleach will be a lot cheaper though - but not sure of the concentration.

I have a book I can dig out that will confirm - I'll post up the info later.

Back