how to reduce size of digital photo?

M

mousey

Recently bought a digital camera. When jpeg picture files are transferred to the computer, they are over 800k in size. I want to email some photos to friends, how can I reduce their size. Is there any software freely available that will do this?

You have two options, one is to upload them to a 'photobox' folder and then send invites, but BB would really be necessary for this.

I use Win XP and from explorer you can right click and choose to send to a mail recipient, it then offers you the choice to reduce the size of the files, they send at about 50K. Not sure how to select this feature not using explorer. try it and see

Ok, well try that as well, just select the images you want to send and right click, if it gives you the option to 'send to a mail recipient' click it and see what happens......

How about a free trial version of [broken link removed]? (Afaik, it doesn't expire, just flashes 'nag screens' at you if you don't register...)

I use it a lot and find it great. It'll let you "save file as" and stipulate a maximum file size — say, 100Kb or so, for e-mailing purposes? (but change the filename slightly, or you'll lose your original hi-res .jpg!)

Dr. M.

irfanview

Take a trip to

www.irfanview.com/

It does all sorts of good things with images and its free

Dont overlook the plugins when you download it.

eDog

photos

yep, Irfanview is the business and completely free and nagless.

Re: photos

It looks pretty damn good all right, for a freebie..!

Actually, it looks amazingly like a clone of ACDSee, but it's great that you can get it for free — I'd download it myself only I have a registered version of ACDSee that came on the CD-Rom with my scanner, a couple of years ago. Before that, the nag screens were driving me mad... :mad

elderdog, podgeandrodge, can you recommend a similar freeb for burning VCDs from .jpg/.avi/.mpg files? Preferably not a trial version that
(a) expires after 14 days
(b) will only handle clips of 1 minute's length
(c) stamps a bloody great "Unregistered Trial Version" across the middle of the output file image.

Is there anything that'll let you combine stills and movie clips? I used to use (poxy) Pixela VCD ImageMixer, but for some reason it now erroneously tells me that I've no supported CD-RW drive... as I discovered recently after spending an hour or two putting together a VCD project :( — the software is too basic to let me correct the 'glitch' in the settings/preferences, and the makers have long since withdrawn technical support!

jpegs

A simple little freeware prog for avi's is avitovcd located at [broken link removed]

On the subject of jpegs and mpegs and avi's have you considered getting a dvd player such as the Yamada 6600 which plays Mpeg1, Mpeg2, Jpeg and Avi Mpeg4 files without any authoring - just burn them and play on the tele.

Re: jpegs

Thanks, p&r. But I also need to burn a few ordinary VCDs to circulate pix/short video clips of a wedding to a large set of in-laws. Not all of them have a PC, but I'm assuming there aren't too many common-or-garden DVD players out there that won't play a VCD...(?)

Dr. M.

I aint a fan of microsoft but the office 2003 package offers a really good photo editing suite.
It can reduce the size on multiple images, and has a rename option where you can rename a whole load of images togethere so instead of haveing images like img0001, img0002, img0003 you could rename them to Holiday1, Holiday2, Holiday3 if so desired.
Anyone who has lost photos to default naming will understand.
Adobe has Image Ready (Packaged with Pjotoshop now) and there new DigitalPhoto Album deally which would offer similiar.

To reduce the size of teh photos your camera takes you cna reduce the resolution of the photos
I use 1600 by 1200 instead of teh default 2048 by 1636
From what i remeber jpeg is a compressed format and so using winzip wont help but you could try that

For photos already taken I use the photo editor gimp
(Freeware)

www.gimp.org/
For example i have a photo here in jpeg which is 1567 kb staright off my camera
By saving it in Gimp with the optimise selection checked i get a file size of 452kb without a degradation in quality (to my eye anyway)
Besides that you could experiment with saving as a GIF file sometimes this increases and sometimes decreases the size
Here is a link to free image editors
graphicssoft.about.com/cs...otoedw.htm

and here is an article on reducing the size of photos

graphicssoft.about.com/cs...cesize.htm

Back