How to purchase shares in US companies

Happy Girl

What would be the best way to invest about 10k (in total) in shares in 4 particular US companies that I have in mind. I want to hold the share certificates myself and it seems most companies hold the shares in crest accounts which i do not want to do. Feel a little intimidated ringing these "stockbrokers" as I am not investing mega money and havent done this before. Grateful for any advice.

Feel a little intimidated ringing these "stockbrokers" as I am not investing mega money and havent done this before.

In case you haven't realised it the guys with the mega money have disappeared. Try the local stockbrokers and if they don't charge you an arm and a leg use them. Otherwise there are plenty of on line big name brokers you could use.

What would be the best way to invest about 10k (in total) in shares in 4 particular US companies that I have in mind. I want to hold the share certificates myself and it seems most companies hold the shares in crest accounts which i do not want to do. Feel a little intimidated ringing these "stockbrokers" as I am not investing mega money and havent done this before. Grateful for any advice.

Please so a search. There have been a number of threads on this topicd before.

If you dont have a US bank account you will have major difficulty doing this imho.

Obviously, as you are not a US resident or didnt work there? etc you wont be able to open a US bank account.

Personally, i have some US equities and use a company called 'First-trade'. They are top class. The service is excellent. You can even vote your proxies online!

I worked in broking for many years. It will be virtually impossible to get a share cert for any US company. Plus, trading and settlement is far far faster and simplier when you have a nominee account. I wouldn't be recommeding share certs to anyone. Anyway, 99% of listed companies simply won't issue them - they have to be held in a Crest Nominee account. I have never seen a share cert for a US company - but I am open to correction if some still do - phone any broker and they'll tell you straight away - or if you want to tell me what stocks your interested in buying, i'll let you know. Or simply go to the "investor relations" section of their websites and you should find out there. Your best bet is to open an online account, deposit the funds in and place the trades. any broker will be able to help you. Trust me, €10k is a lot of money these days! You don't need a US bank account. best of luck. if you have any other questions, just let me know if I can help.

I use TD Ameritrade for purchasing US equities.

9.99 USD per trade regardless of the amount. It comes with a USD bank account.

You do not get share certificates, but the trade confirmations are available online.

Thank you so much everybody for help and recommendations. I suppose it is my lack of trust generally in most businesses operating within the financial systems that is making me want to hold the certificates myself.

Back