How to pronounce Ailbhe?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Non-financial Questions' started by delgirl, 8 Dec 2006.

1. delgirl

delgirl Frequent Poster

Could someone please tell me how to pronounce Ailbhe phonetically?

Thanks

2. sharecarer

sharecarer Frequent Poster

I think it's Al-va

3. moylan1

moylan1 Registered User

are you buying a present for my daughter?

ailbhe= al (as in pal) ve (as in vetinary)

4. doberden

doberden Frequent Poster

a friend of mine is called Ailbhe and I always pronounce it Alvey. She never corrected me and I know her years!

5. delgirl

delgirl Frequent Poster

Thanks a lot - some of the Irish names are a bit confusing!

6. Bgirl

Bgirl Frequent Poster

al-va

7. Molly

Molly Frequent Poster

My cousins daughter is ailbhe and pronounced ale - va (ale as in pale and va as in ta)

8. Marie M

Marie M Frequent Poster

I know of 3 girls who pronounce it like that.

9. joanmul

joanmul Frequent Poster

My niece of that name is called al-va

10. delgirl

delgirl Frequent Poster

Well I tried Al-va and she didn't correct me, so I think that's probably the way she pronounces her name. Find some Irish names really tricky.

11. Blathgirl

Blathgirl Guest

Looks like this debates already closed but for what its worth, I know a girl called Ailbhe and she pronounces it 'Ale vee' rather than 'Al-va'.

12. Ailbhe11

Ailbhe11 New Member

Hi fellow humans i know that it is 13 years later but when i saw this i had to reply as this is a serious issue the name ailbhe is said al-va as most of you have said but i need to explain that if you read the name dont you dare say it ava as you have gotten the hardest part right and its a shame u forgot to pronounce the L .

13. Jazz01

Jazz01 Frequent Poster

Ava.... my pronunciation is all over the place, but my math is good, well I used to think anyway, but 13 years on from 2007 = 2020? or have I slept in and missed a year? o_O

Sue Ellen likes this.
  14. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

I say it's Alvə. :p

My niece Ailbhe was born since 2007. She has a German mother, a Dutch-speaking Irish father, and French/German-speaking Belgian siblings. The name was perfect for being pronounceable by all nationalities, yet retaining a bit of Oirishness. That said, her siblings pronounce it Al-vah, with 'a' as in father rather than in dental. It's a minor distinction but I think the latter is more appropriate for the proper Irish pronunciation. In the International Phonetic Alphabet it's the mid-central vowel, also known as schwa, and written 'ə'.

15. Sue Ellen

Sue Ellen Moderator.

Probably :) The thread was started on 8th December, 2006 + 13 = 2019.

Jazz01 likes this.
  16. Ailbhe11

Ailbhe11 New Member

Exactly i am very glad that some ppl can read

Jazz01 likes this.
  17. Ailbhe11

Ailbhe11 New Member

I just wanted to say that i think it is a great accomplishment that after over 10 years of inactiveness i single handedly have brought it back again