How to promote a website via Google

alexandra123

Hello All,

I have been asked to maintain an already built online website for a family member. I have also been asked to help promote it with google's search engine.

Does anyone know how I would best go about this ? I tried the below site but it would not take the url of the website even though it is correct.
[broken link removed]

Also - does anyone know any sites that will host websites for free long term?

Thanks in advance

Google for information on 'Search Engine Optimisation' or SEO - You'll find lots of advice out there. To be honest, like most professional stuff, if you're starting from zero knowledge on this, you can't expect brilliant results.

Costs of hosting is fairly trivial - hosts like Blacknight will provide good service for €50-€100 a year. Free hosts will probably stick their ads all over your site.

I looked at the new Irish service ... they'd want to get their own house in order before they try getting other people's houses sorted:

Their 'About Us' page in the footer of the site goes to a 404 error page:

[broken link removed]

Also ..... I don't understand why some sites (like this one) don't include a Contact page ....

Re. OP's query ..... google SEO and you'll have more info about optimisation than you'll ever need.

I tried the below site but it would not take the url of the website even though it is correct.
You're pretty much wasting your time adding your site in that manner in any case (I've not checked the links provided for the various other submission offerings, but I'll happily include them as wasted time), the search engines will discover the site naturally once you start to gain backlinks (links to your site from other websites).

From what you've said, it sounds like the site has already been around for some time? In which case I'd assume it's more of an issue with increasing the rankings than with the search engine discovering the site? (Depending on the number of pages, site architecture and link profile, there may also be issues with the number of pages actually indexed... but again, submitting the URLs won't solve this)

A much better use of your time would be to sign up to Google Webmaster Tools, where you'll gain a lot of valuable information relating to the site. If you do want to aid the search engines (Bing have a similar WMT offering) in discovery of pages, you can then submit a sitemap (google "xml sitemap" for more information) which will be far more effective.

Also - does anyone know any sites that will host websites for free long term?
As Complainer mentioned, this would be a horrible step to take.

Even if you did manage to find an ad free 'free host', you'd end up suffering in terms of performance (bandwidth, page speeds, etc.) and the options available to you. It would have a detrimental impact on your search engine rankings, make for a far worse customer experience and have a negative impact on the 'brand' of your business.

There are very competitive prices out there for hosting, this isn't the area to try and cut costs (well, not to the 'free' level at least; the cost/benefit there just isn't worth the financial savings).

As the others have mentioned, start reading up on search engine optimisation. It's a huge topic, extremely dynamic in nature and one that you'll continually be learning (huge learning curve)... but it's also very challenging and enjoyable if you're of a certain mind set.

Take care if/when using public forums or unknown blogs, there's as much (or far far more) terrible information out there on SEO and SEM (search engine marketing) as there is great information. If you stick to the larger or better known sites, you'll see bad advice being shot down fast and the good advice surfacing to the top.

To start with, focus on the information provided directly from the search engines. Google offer a (very basic) SEO starter guide, provide a YouTube channel relating to the area and have an [broken link removed] with lots of SEO related advice.

If you've got it set up in WordPress download a plug in.

Decide what keywords on Google the business wants to target and rewrite your copy to include this. Make sure the meta tags are updated and, if they've got the money, consider running a Google AdWords campaign as well.

Back