How to proceed with "Intrum Justitia" debt collection agency?

K

kenny10033

Hi I am looking for some advice with dealing with Intrum Justitia.

Last August I bought a phone from 02 online and was on a €100 a month price plan for 18 months.Soon after wards my phone was stolen and I called 02 asking to blacklist the phone.They did this but they said I would have to keep paying the €100 a month until the contract was finished, obviously I didn't want to do this as it would be paying for nothing so I asked to cancel the contract but it was over €1,500 to do this so I just left it and canceled my direct debit.

Im living away from home and I went home last week to find about 8 letters from o2 ,Centurion Collections, Intrum justitia and the latest from Bill Holohan & Associates Solicitors saying that I owe €1700 and that if I didn't pay within 7 days the would issue legal proceedings against me without further notice.

I know I cant ignore them but I have no Idea what to say to them, I'm unemployed, have no savings and have no idea how I can pay it back.

Also will this affect my credit rating?

I would be so grateful if anyone could advise me how to proceed??

Re: How to proceed with intrum justitia debt collection?

Tell them exactly what you have just said. Do it in a letter. Tell them (in the letter) to stop sending demand letters, that you will not recognise further charges per letter, that you recognise the debt and are speaking to MABS.
Speak to MABS.
Can only affect your credit rating if there is a judgement against you. If it was a loan your ICB record could show arrears, not the case with a phone contract.

Can only affect your credit rating if there is a judgement against you. If it was a loan your ICB record could show arrears, not the case with a phone contract.

Is this true? I remember having a dispute with ebay over fees and they eventually sent one of those intrum justitia debt collection notices and I paid it for fear of having a black mark on my ICB record. It was only about 20 quid which was why I caved in and paid it in the end even though I knew it wasn't valid.

Only loans/credit cards count for your ICB.

Intrum or any debt agency cannot affect your ICB.

What do you need to know ajapale?

A poster asked a question with the cryptic title "intrum justitia" today. I wanted to bump this thread before possibly merging the two threads.

Last August I bought a phone from 02 online and was on a €100 a month price plan for 18 months.Soon after wards my phone was stolen and I called 02 asking to blacklist the phone.They did this but they said I would have to keep paying the €100 a month until the contract was finished, obviously I didn't want to do this as it would be paying for nothing so I asked to cancel the contract but it was over €1,500 to do this so I just left it and canceled my direct debit.

Why did you not just get a new phone and a new sim? This is what most people would do.

You signed a legal contract and then stuck your head in the sand. Not a good course of action.

If debt collectors start calling at your house that 1700 euro will start heading upwards very fast. They charge very high fees.

If debt collectors start calling at your house that 1700 euro will start heading upwards very fast. They charge very high fees.
Debt collectors cannot add fees. Also they cannot call to your house. Only the county sheriff can do that.

Debt collectors cannot add fees. Also they cannot call to your house. Only the county sheriff can do that.

They can call to your house. They can come round to the door and ask you to pay it. They have no rights of access to your house and have to leave if you ask them.

If they put one step out of line, you can apply to have the debt struck out.

But there is nothing stopping them coming to the door to ask for the money.

Are there any circumstances where a debt collector can call to your house bond-007?

As said they can knock the door and ask, of course you can tell them to go away and not come back. If they comeback they are in big trouble.

Unless a debt is considerable in size, home visits esp on the off chance someone is home are very expensive and thus very unlikely to happen.

As said they can knock the door and ask, of course you can tell them to go away and not come back. If they comeback they are in big trouble.

Unless a debt is considerable in size, home visits esp on the off chance someone is home are very expensive and thus very unlikely to happen.
Thanks for that , I have a niece that racked up a €1000 debt with a moblie phone provider and also got many letters demanding payment from various debt collectors, I have now taken her under my wing and am prepared to clear her debt for her but have no intention of dealing with any of these goons.

there is a wee european directive that called unfair terms into a consumer contract and it may be of value to you's i cant remember the directive no.

Bond-007: "As said they can knock the door and ask"

So which is it?

Any person can knock on your door for money. You can tell them to go away. They have no legal powers to enter to seize goods.

They have no legal powers to enter to seize goods.

What has this go to do with collecting an outstanding debt?

Are you sure you know the differences between debt collectors and the sheriff?

Back