How to pick tariff new build

Adelie

Normally when I change electric tariff I just look up my last years usage on the bills and put it into one of the comparison sites and can easily identify the best tariff.

But we’ll be moving into a new build soon and I have no clue how to estimate usage because we are changing from D rated with old appliances to A rated with new appliances, and changing from OFCH to air-to-water and regular meter to smart meter (not necessary smart tariff).

Any tips how to approach the decision?

The BER that comes along with that A rating should give you a number for the estimated usage. That should guide you in terms of the cost of space and water heating, lighting and ventilation. An A rated building should use less than 75 kWh/m2/yr based on standard occupancy.

If it is a new build with a smart meter are you nit obliged to go for a smart tariff?
No, you can get a day/night meter swapped in if you wish, contact your currently provider, to arrange a meter swap, who will the pass the request onto ESB Networks, who do the meter swap, turnaround time is usually about a week, and the swap only takes a few minutes. Smart plans are appalling value, with multiple time slots, and very hight rates during the day.

a day/night meter gives you 9 hours per day at around half the price of the day rate, rather than, 2 to 3 hours “night boost” that some smart meters offer, allthough the standing charge is a little higher on a day/night meter.

No, you can get a day/night meter swapped in if you wish, contact your currently provider, to arrange a meter swap, who will the pass the request onto ESB Networks, who do the meter swap, turnaround time is usually about a week, and the swap only takes a few minutes. Smart plans are appalling value, with multiple time slots, and very hight rates during the day.

a day/night meter gives you 9 hours per day at around half the price of the day rate, rather than, 2 to 3 hours “night boost” that some smart meters offer, allthough the standing charge is a little higher on a day/night meter.

Oh that would be great - could save me a lot of money . Thanks.

Is this something you are sure about? Seems unlikely that they would remove a brand new smart meter and replace it with a day night meter... Has anyone had this done for them?

Yes, i had it done in April this year, and many more are also doing this, as the tarriffs on smart meter plans are very bad value.

Just call your existing supplier, and request your meter to be changed to a day/night meter. I’d also recommend calling ESB networks(have your MPRN when you call them) after you request this (say, the day after you request from supplier)to confirm your meter swap, is on their system and confirm the swap date, as there can be a disconnect between supplier and ESB Networks.

Finally, after you get the meter changed to day/night, if you subsequently move to another supplier, always do this by phone, never online, as it can take several weeks if you do this online.

Is there a fee charged for refitting the the old type meter and time clock, to provide for day / night tariff. There was a charge of approximately 180 euro for this in the past.

When changing suppliers with an old type meter the meter readings you supply online are used to start the contract with the new supplier, so it is not a problem that the changeover process takes several weeks.

Smart plans are appalling value, with multiple time slots, and very hight rates during the day.
I ran a few numbers on the Bonkers tool (see here) and based on average usage numbers, you need to move more than 30% of your total usage to the night-rate period for the day/night option to work out cheaper then the smart plan due to the increased standing charges.

Is there a fee charged for refitting the the old type meter and time clock, to provide for day / night tariff. There was a charge of approximately 180 euro for this in the past.

When changing suppliers with an old type meter the meter readings you supply online are used to start the contract with the new supplier, so it is not a problem that the changeover process takes several weeks.
Its not an “old type”, its a day/night meter with a digital display, there was no charge to switch, my understanding is the first meter switch is free.

I changed electricity providers online, and i would not recommend this, as it took 6 weeks, i called them, and they told me it takes several weeks online, and cannot be reversed, so call them to do the switch, it takes just a few days

Last edited:
I ran a few numbers on the Bonkers tool (see here) and based on average usage numbers, you need to move more than 30% of your total usage to the night-rate period for the day/night option to work out cheaper then the smart plan due to the increased standing charges.
Yes, you would need at least that, depends on overall annual usage to make it work. You need real annual data, for your own circumstances, to make an accurate determination.

I’m at about 60 % usage on night rate now, since meter installed in April, this has brought the overall average unit rate, to about 14 cent per unit ex vat, (increases coming though)we use time delays on washing machine, dishwasher, dryer, and we have one electric car charging at night also, and a heat pump heating water at night only. We don’t have any electric showers.

It may not make sense for everyone, but it does, for our needs.

I read about people who have PV (photo voltaic solar)panels who have close to zero usage on day rates, as they store the power generated from PV, in batteries.

in winter time when the PV yield is low, they charge their batteries at night rate, and run the house off the battery, during the day.

My understanding is that you can refuse to upgrade to a smart meter, but ESB will not swap out an existing smart meter once it is installed.
I also think that you can pick any tariff (Smart/Day night/24 hour) even if you have a smart meter.

For air-to water, I've heard it's generally best to have a standard 24 hour tarriff, as the pumps run most efficiently during the day when it's warmer.
Any savings on running it at night, are mostly negated by the lower efficiency.

I'd look for one with a good per-unit cost, as your electricity use will be higher than someone with gas or oil heating. Though hopefully still save money!

Back