How to minimise long term investment tax

alwaysonit

With CGT at 33% and income tax between 20% and 40% here are the most tax efficient approaches I am aware of:

1. Find an investment that can be held long term, that is subject to CGT.
An option here is a conglomerate which imitates an ETF but does not have deemed disposal tax.
Pay the 33% CGT on gains whenever it is sold. Sell the tax free allowance amount €1,270 each year it has gone up, then possibly reinvest it.

2. For those with low income or solely living off investment returns - find an investment where the returns is classified as income, rather than capital gains. I am not well versed in such investments so feel free to share.
Utilise tax free allowance (the first €1,700 of tax) and the lower tax band tier (20% up to €36,600).

3. Utilise approach 1 above, but travel for 4 years when you are at the age you need to sell the investments. You can still spend up to a few months in Ireland each year. Sell it in year 4 when you are no longer an ordinary tax resident of Ireland, ideally paying little to no tax in wherever you decide to become a resident in this time. You can become an Irish resident from year 5 onwards.

Obviously option 3 is extreme, but would suit some with a large net worth and no urgent need to be in the country.
Either way the CGT of 33% is extortionate and leads us to search for ways to minimise it.

Please share any other approach that you have considered or taken.

Another one is having more Principal Private Residence than you need.

The benefit in terms of lower commuting costs and having a nice house is not taxed.

The capital gains are not taxed.

You would have to be prepared to trade down to avail of them. Which you might not want to do, but that would be less disruptive than exiling yourself for 4 years.

Brendan

2. For those with low income or solely living off investment returns - find an investment where the returns is classified as income, rather than capital gains. I am not well versed in such investments so feel free to share.
Utilise tax free allowance (the first €1,700 of tax) and the lower tax band tier (20% up to €36,600).

You can choose when to realise capital gains tax efficiently.

But you usually can't "utilise" income. You tend to get it or not. I can't think of an investment that allows you to defer income to a year when it would be more advantageous.

The best such investments would be utilities which tend to have a high dividend yield.

Brendan

Another one is having more Principal Private Residence than you need.

Is historical property appreciation higher than 8% per annum?
S+P 500 is just shy of 12% (8% after CGT is paid).

You can choose when to realise capital gains tax efficiently.

But you usually can't "utilise" income. You tend to get it or not. I can't think of an investment that allows you to defer income to a year when it would be more advantageous.

The best such investments would be utilities which tend to have a high dividend yield.

Brendan

A conglomerate distributing dividends was my thinking.
To keep the math simple, assume €1 million for equity portion, and a dividend distribution of 1.7%.

This individual could put 500k into the distributing stock - earning €8,500 in dividends yearly, which is the income tax free allowance, assuming this is his only taxable income.

He would then put the other 500k into a stock that accumulated dividends and avail of compound returns.

Is historical property appreciation higher than 8% per annum?
S+P 500 is just shy of 12% (8% after CGT is paid)

It's not just a straight comparison of appreciation of assets though. Utility is important

The investment approach offers the utility of quick access to funds at any point in the future. Volatility makes this utility risky in that you may have to accept a loss but at least you will have liquid funds when needed.

However the utility or benefits of the better PPR approach is the enjoyment and convenience of a better property. Is it located closer to schools/work. Is it bigger/nicer/newly built. Does it have something you need or want like a garden or home office. The utility does not change as house prices fluctuate. You will always get to enjoy your bigger garden even if house prices drop

You need to decide which is more beneficial to you overall and not just the final figure of monetary value on a spreadsheet

Back