How To Make The Grass Grow Quickly

thanks, I'll try give that a go. The main grass section that contains the patches is very dry. Soil is almost craking in parts?

Any advice for pretreatment of this before seeding/top dressing.

thanks again.

Sounds like the soil has become very compacted. Maybe drive your garden fork down into the patches a whole load of times, rocking it back and forth to loosen the compaction. Giving it a serious water before you do this might help too.

If it's really hard you might need to turn the soil over altogether, but one of those twisty garden claw jobs will do that ok. Then some topdressing, seed and topdress over the top again.

Good luck!

You can buy something called 'Rootzone Mix' for topdressing lawns or for sowing lawn into. It is a mixture of screened topsoil and sand and is much easier to level than sand, is better-draining, and may have some fertiliser mixed in with it - normally delivered in one tonne bags. Also, there are seed mixes which are specifically for shady lawns. Most lawns (and plants in general) don't grow because there is an underlying problem which cannot be fixed easily. This problem is normally to do with soil quality and, most of all, because there is either compation in the soil or rubble / cement / builders' spoil only an inch or two beneath the soil. Many, many new house suffer from this, and after the build is completed the builders put a thin skim of soil over everything, bung in a lawn or some plants and disappear off into the sunset. These are the gardens that never prosper, and then only way to fix them is to excavate the whole lot and sort out the soil - I am a landscape gardener with ten years of dealing with these places! Fixing the surface of things looks great for a while, but the old problems always return.

I hope the OP's grass is well established at this stage, 19 months later...
Leo

Yes, this is a little late to re-enter this thread... I always forget to look at the dates! To answer the question: grass needs at about 15-20 cms of proper soil over a decompacted base of any sort. If the base (preferably subsoil, or subsoil mixed with rubble) is not compacted that should be more than enough. The problem with really shallow soil is that it dries out in the summer (if it stops raining), gets waterlogged in the winter and doesn't have volume to sustain decent growth. Hope that explains it.

Back