How To Make The Grass Grow Quickly

the king

hi all,
i have a garden where the grass only grows in patches. i also have never really done gardening before. anyway i really need to get the grass to grow properly. if you had a garden like mine, what would you do?. as you know by now im not a gardener, so youll have to tell me step by step. i want something that will make the grass grow quickly and let my grass look richer any fuller. thanks very much

the king

Lawn sand feed & weed will do just that for you....have your mower ready for a busy time

go down to your local farmers providers or co op and ask for a bag of

ten ten twentyand you ll be fine only use a small amount and wear gloves

Chemicals will help - however, u need decent soil and drainage to have an v good lawn.

cutting the lawn regularly thickens - but don't put the blade too low. u may also need to throw some seed in the patches - and if they are v bad it might b an idea to dig the ground a bit to let some air in to the soil first.

S

Don’t mean to hijack your thread but I have a similar problem.

Also have a very patchy lawn PLUS there’s a large area which was recently dug up and leveled with new topsoil.
I covered areas with grass seed about 3 weeks ago and nothing has happened? I can literally still see the seeds? There has been two occasions of serious rainfall where the soil was almost flooded.

I was under the impression I should see some results by now? Or do you think there is something up?

Any advice would be welcomed as I’m hoping for a green lawn for summer!

Thanks

I would have thought that it is a little too early to set grass seed at the moment particularly with the temperatures so low. Even though there is plenty of moisture in the ground you would need a little heat in the ground also. The best time to set grass seed is end of April/Early may and again in September. The seed will eventually sprout if you wait long enough.

Ciars, I'm in a similar situation to you. I put grass seed down about three weeks ago and nothing has happened - used it to patch bare areas on the lawn. There were some torrential down pours immediately after I'd planted so I figures it'd grow fast - but like you nothing and I can see the seeds too

Thanks, I feel reassured its just a matter of time then.

As far as I remember I read the seed could be spread from March onwards - I also think I was fooled into an early spring by some premature sunny days so maybe I was a bit eager :)

Fred, sounds like we're on the same timeline - I put the seed down, went away for a few days and came back to a marshy back garden thanks to two days constant down pour - The rain that follwed (caused all those recent floods) didnt help either. In some spots the seeds were literally washed away.

Any additional advice - should I put down some fertiliser or re-seed a little in the spot areas?

Ciars, If you see any growth post here!! My seed doesn't look as though it will ever spring to life!

Will do - but im with ya on this one. My seed looks as flat as it did they day it was put down. :(

I was on the gardening Ireland site as well reading up on laying new lawn. This I might have a problem as one of the areas is in a shaded spot and the soil looks a bit cakey and spongy since all the rain! I'm sure I'll have to address this problem as well.

If I see a tinby sprout of grass i'll post a pic :)

There was no frost where I live but it was very cold. Hopefully seeds are just waiting for some warm weather to sprout

would the recent severe frost not have killed the seeds ?

Actually there was a bit of frost one morning last week out our way.
Thinking of re-seeding again and using a seed suitable for shaded areas (only just found out this existed)

Any other good advice on seeding? Is fertaliser a must? Do you need to roll after seeding or can you just scatter? Should you water withinh a few days if no rain fall?

Again this is all new to me and Im really hoping to get this patchy lawn sorted. (Bloody developers left it in a state)

Just a quick update for fredbloggs. One of the areas has started to grow in the last few days. I think its due to the recent evening sunshine. But one of the areas is still completely sahded and no growth. But atleast its on the move.

:)

If there has been severe rainfall after sowing the seed, the seed will be literally washed away. One can normally sow grass from March IF frost isnt expected but we did have some very cold nights.

I would suggest If the seed has gone in some places only, then put down some more, Rake it in so there is a little covering of topsoil. Then if it doesnt rain for 2/3 days, you will have to water it too.

Regarding the proper way to put down a lawn. It is advisable to rotavate the area first, this ensures better drainage. Rake the whole thing until it resembles crumbly soil, removing any stones along the way. put down the seed, rake it in. Roll it. The seed normally comes up n 10 days if it gets heat and water and NO FROST!!

Good Luck.

thanks emnc.

Looking long term, as my garden is patchy in places (and shaded) if I wanted to rotavate this would have I have to burn off all the grass first?

Is there any instances where you can just rotavate the soil/grass - then follow your instructions as below?

thanks

thanks emnc.

Looking long term, as my garden is patchy in places (and shaded) if I wanted to rotavate this would have I have to burn off all the grass first?

Is there any instances where you can just rotavate the soil/grass - then follow your instructions as below?

thanks

Assuming your lawn is still at least 50% grass, your overseeding should work. However, you maybe ought to buy some 'Topdressing' (It's a soil and sand mix - can buy Westland brand in B&Q near the grass seed usually). Sow the seed, then scatter over the topdressing to cover it with a thin layer. This should protect the seed and assist germination.

Hopefully the patchy areas will thicken up. You might then want to use a mulching mower and return your grass cuttings to the lawn to prevent nutrient loss.

thanks, I'll try give that a go. The main grass section that contains the patches is very dry. Soil is almost craking in parts?

Any advice for pretreatment of this before seeding/top dressing.

thanks again.

Unfortunately no sign of growth in my lawn:( so looks like I'll have to invest in more lawn seed. Those bare patches are really getting to me!!

Back