how to make chimney block ?

suicra05

I was talking to a friend about saving energy in the house. He suggested making a chimney block for the chimney. This would block the chimney in the sitting room when not in use. He claims a lot of heat is wasted by going up the chimney. Does anybody know what is the best material to make a chimney block that is easily removable. The fire is only lit a few times a month.

If you have a back boiler it's probably more efficient (or at least cheaper)to actually light a fire instead of relying on e.g. OFCH.

But you'll probably tell me that you don't have a back boiler...

Google "Chimney pillow" or "Chimney Balloon" and you'll get a wide choice. My solution is a roll of bubblewrap. The bigger bubbles are best.

just make sure you dont block it completley.....you still need to let a little air circulate.

.....And remember to remove it before lighting the fire....leave something in the grate to remind you each time...

This question was asked at an energy efficiency workshop hosted by Sustainability Ireland, that I attended before Xmas. The advice given was that if you're going to use the chimney balloon, then it is advisable to put a cap on the top of the chimney as well, to prevent water entering. If you use the balloon on its own, the water will still enter the chimney void and build up around the surface of the balloon - from there it could start seeping into the brick or blockwork of the chimney and create much bigger problems.

Back