How to make blinds safer?

Shawady

I was just reading that tragic story of the toddler that was strangled in the cord of the blinds and was wondering is there something that could make them safer.
One of my colleagues thought there was a little hook that some hardware stores may sell that can be stuck on the wall to keep the blinds out of a child's reach.

Has anyone bought one of these before or know where to get them?

[broken link removed]

Can probably get them in any hardware store, or some blinds come supplied with them.

Jon

Thank you, JonG - I could picture the exact thing the OP needed, and was trying to Google for an image of one, but didn't know the name of it!

I did, however, come across another ingenious solution: using 2 3M Command Strip hooks, mounted with the hooks facing away from each other and a gap of whatever size you like between them. They have the advantage of being easily removable without damaging the wall. (Might be useful for those in rented accomodation)

You can also just snip the end of the cord so that it doesn't end in a loop - it'll just be two bits of sting hanging down.

Yes, that was a terrible tragedy and would send shivers up your back.

Any shop that supplies blinds will be able to supply you with a plastic fixing to retain the cord. I don't have a photo to hand but you wrap the fixing around the cord and it snaps into place and then you screw the fixing to the wall. The cord moves freely within the fixing but by screwing the fixing to the wall you can keep the cord taught against the wall and hopefully out of harms way.

I got a bunch of them a few months back from the shop where we purchased blinds, as they sold me the blinds they only charged me a nominal fee - about 20c each but as they're plastic I doubt you would be charged any more than 50c each anyway.

My nephew nearly met the same fate a couple of years ago, except my sister found him just in time. The cords had completely cut into his neck and left him badly scarred.

I this case it was the curtain cords he'd been playing with. I told her to cut the loop immediately. And I know of another case locally where a boy died strangled by the roller towels in the school toilet.

Back