How to kill rushes in my lawn

Builder

Anyone know how to get rid of rushes permanently from my lawn. The lawn would have been drained and it is also sloping so I don't think drainage is the problem. The soil is also very compact, I aerated it this year and plan to do the same next. Any advice appreciated.

Builder,
If you just have clumps of rushes, then you can “spot” spray them with a knapsack sprayer and Roundup (or cheaper equivalent gyphosate product). Farmers usually cut them three weeks beforehand and treat the fresh regrowth (easier to kill) with either glyphosate using a “weedlicker” or else they spray with a specific herbicide like MCPA or 2-4-D. June or July is the usual months for treating rushes as growing conditions are good.

Just be careful if your using glyposate as it will kill you grass too, so for a lawn you really need to spot spray the clumps or else use the MCPA or 2-4-D.

I hope this helps,

They are stubborn things to kill permanently, I tried treat them a few times but came back, ended up just digging them out at the root in a v shaped cut and pushing surrounds in, sounds a bit drastic but they never came back since and lawn looks well...

I have approx 5 acres, mainly divided in paddocks for horses and suffer a bit from rushes. I used MCPA with great success. It will not kill them permanently but it does get rid of them for a number of years, about 5 I'd say. Strangest stuff, you spray, watch everyday with no results, still green after couple of weeks, still tall, then all of a sudden, they are gone! No dead growth. Perhaps horses are playing jokes with me!

Back