How to kill buttercups!

Kate10

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any advice on what to use to get rid of buttercups? Our back lawn is mostly buttercup at this stage and I don't know where to start to improve the situation. The grass quality wasn't great to begin with but is much worse now. Our front garden is better but I can see the buttercups beginning to take hold there too.

Also, we have two trees in our front garden than seem to be struggling. Both seems to have some sort of yellow fungal growth on the bark. Anyone have any idea how I can go about id'ing this?

Thanks very much!

Kate.

The advice I got was to rake, rake, then rake again. When you're really sick of raking do it again. Has to be done every week for a month or 2 until you have gotten rid of most of the weed then you can replant your lawn.

I'm not sure if the Autumn is the best time for seeding the lawn though?

Does anyone have any advice on what to use to get rid of buttercups? Our back lawn is mostly buttercup at this stage and I don't know where to start to improve the situation.

Improve drainage, fertilise regularly, apply lime, rake, Ensure you have a well sealed grass box on your mower.
Just a few of the organic or cultural control methods.
Then of course there are the chemical options.
It seems to be such a problem here that idedicated a whole article to creeping buttercup or Fearbán reatha on the Irish gardeners forum........ [broken link removed]

Back