How to invest in ETFs

foinse

Hello,
I am a beginner at this.
I have looked at the etfsecurities website and the many threads on this site about investing in ETFs, (including http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=6724) but I still can't figure out how to invest in an ETF

In simple language, can someone outline the steps involved in investing in an ETF.

I think that I must go through a broker such as Goodbodys.
If so, what broker would you recommend for an Irish person, taking currency, commission, tax and the security of your investment into account?

Find a broker (research which is the best for you based on trading frequency, charges, yearly charge, opening hours etc).

Find an ETF (what country, what sector, etc).

Get your brokerage account opened up firstly - this is a big task in itself finding what is right foryou. While you are getting this set up read as much as you possibly can on sites that have info on ETF's that you are interested in.

Are you looking to buy into a Irish, UK or US fund? What are your preferences?

I am thinking of an ETF in the energy area (or maybe that is called an ETC)
I am also thinking of tracking the Hand Seng or Nikkei.

What sort of commissions can I expect from Irish brokers?

How does etfsecurities fit into this? I have seen them referenced many times on this site.

If you dont mind me asking, why the Hang Seng/Nikkei? Is there any specific reason for that. They have proven to be pretty volatile over the passed few months and may be a little ahead of themselves, though that applies to all market indices if you ask me!

Broker charges in Ireland are nuts. Opening a US brokerage account is more advisable. Have a look at Davy/Goodbody/NIB charges on their websites to get an idea of charges

Energy fund, as in oil, natural gas, renewables, a mix?

Dont know anything about etfsecurities I'm afraid, maybe someone else can comment on that.

Back