How to invest in a start up business

D

Daithig

Hi Everyone,

I would love to invest a modest size figure (for the sake of arguement €15K) in a new start up business. Ideally I would love to invest in something to do with renewable energy but its not essential. I would love to support a good idea, thats exiciting, from the ground floor that has potential and I'm hoping you guys might have some pointers for me. Namely:

• Is there a good source out there for Irish business start ups looking for capital investment that I can acess?
  • What are the legal/taxation issues I need to be aware of before going down this road?
  • Am I off the mark with 15K i.e. too much/too little, and in your opinion what return would you expect for such an amount over 3 years?
  • Plus any other thughts you might have
Thanks in advance

You should approach your accountant regarding BES schemes where you can claim tax back. 15k investment is fine for most BES schemes.

I do not know much about this area but I would suggest being very careful about putting any of your money into any scheme that focuses on tax benefits!!!

I understand that there are investment opportunties in wind farms and if I remember correctly the return is estimated at around 9%. Also, I thin your 15k would be able to get you involved in the area.

Cheers guys, Thanks for the advice.

Any thoughts on where I should look i.e. are there any websites magazines, etc in particular that entreprenuers seek out investors through?
Would local enterprise boards be any use in this regard? Where do start up entreprenuers go for private capital investors?

Try NCB or Dolmens. They were raising loan notes for Mainstream Renewable Power(12% coupon I think) with an option to purchase some equity. There are the ex Airtricity guys so have a fantastic track record. Coupon is also attractive in this low interest rate environment.

Back