How to increase return water temp to boiler?

apple1

Folks,

I'm running UFH and I notice that the temp of the return water to the boiler is running at approx 30 deg C after circulating through the UFH loops. Is there any way I can increase this as I'm afraid of corroding the heat exchanger. Its a wood pellet boiler so low return temperatures are not desirable as they would be in a condensing boiler scenario. Thanks in advance, apple1

You should consider fitting a bypass valve between the Boiler flow and return pipes. This valve can be left partially open thus allowing hotter water from the flow pipe mix with the cooler returning from the space heating requirement. This will solve the problem of chilling/corrosion of the heat exhanger.
This valve can be a simple 1/2 inch gate valve that will bridge the flow and return circuits.

Thanks Villa 1. Is there any method of optimising this so that too much of the flow water isn't 'lost' to the flow (if you understand me) or is it literally a trial and error exercise until the balance seems about right?

The trial and error method would be the cheapest. Fitting a gate valve and 'cracking' it open should work well enough. You could use strap on temperature gauges to check both the flow and return pipework temperatures. This valve 'cracking' will not interfere with the normal operating of the heating system.
The other more expensive method would be to use thermostatic mixing valve and sensors to regulate the return water temperature.

Thanks Villa1. Not a wonderful time of year for splashing around excess cash, so will be proceedings with your option!

Back