How to improve vocabulary?

OhPinchy

<Wasn't really sure which forum to put this in so this is my best guess>

I am interested in finding a tool or set of books/ebooks to help improve my vocabulary (and grammar too I suppose!). I've been meaning to get around to it for the general benefit of having an expansive vocabulary but now I am planning on doing an MBA soon it is of more importance (help with the course and I won't have another window to work on it when I start the course).

After a very brief web search it became clear that there are plenty of commercial options (like this) out there but I would have thought there are useful tools freely available and also want to avoid paying what might turn out to be junk.
I have no problem paying for a tool or book but want to make sure it's worth it before doing so - any recommendations/tips are much appreciated.

Instead of using commercial options, I think reading a wide variety of subject matter is the best way to improve vocabulary and grammar. Try reading outside your normal sphere of interest e.g. read both fiction and non-fiction, technical and non-technical, scholarly and non-scholarly, contemporary and older literature - this will expose you to different uses of language and different ways of expressing ideas - which is essentially what a wide vocabulary enables you to do. Try also to look up words if you are unsure of the meaning - no point in just skipping over them.

Easiest and probably most enjoyable way (but not necessarily the quickest) is simply by reading more - and pushing yourself to read things that you may previously have found a bit too verbose.

Samuel Beckett's novels for example are full of vocabulary surprises - but he's not to everyone's taste. Reading one of the better written broadsheets (e.g. The Irish Times IMO) - literally cover to cover - may help too (particularly the 'review' or arty sections). Then simply look up words as you come across them.

AA Gill of The Sunday Times (whilst offensive and irritating to many) certainly has a way with words.

... AA Gill of The Sunday Times (whilst offensive and irritating to many) certainly has a way with words.
Good post and agree with the rest of your suggestions, but this guy is a wizard of the written word. Did I read he was diagnosed as dyslexic as a child? (hopefully not condemned as OT post).

Thanks for the responses. I do a certain amount of those activities today, though with a hectic lifestyle it is often difficult to get enough time for leisure reading. I do get through a decent portion of the Irish Times and the Sunday Times & Sunday Business Post though.

Given my circumstances I need to adopt a more explicit study approach to this - i.e. sit down for an hour at a time, learn new words and then practice recalling and reusing them. I figure an application of some form might help with this - I'll download the jMemorize app and give it a whirl.

... but this guy is a wizard of the written word. Did I read he was diagnosed as dyslexic as a child? (hopefully not condemned as OT post).

I think you're right. I think the beauty of his writing is that he manages to be intelligent, articulate, insightful and funny - often in the same sentence!

A fun way to improve your vocabulary is to practice solving crossword puzzles with the aid of a good dictionary. The simplex crosswords in the irish times are good for a start, once you master these, have a go at the cryptic crosswords.

But OhPinchy, whatever happens, just ensure that you don't turn into a logastellus! ;)

Wow, some great tips there folks, thanks a lot!

I have installed the WordWeb tool and am finding it very useful so far.

Maybe something like a business dictionary would be useful,
thanks for the word a day link, have just signed up for a daily email.
Pat

If you don't have the time to read, how about trying books on CD or download pod casts? Or listen to arts programmes on RTE1, BBC4.
One problem with just reading material is that sometimes people tend to mispronounce words they have read or use words out of context.

You could try toastmasters .........It would certainly improve your vocabulary and grammar

[broken link removed]

Back