How to improve fuel efficiency for Volkwagen Polo diesel 1.4

Kkma

Just wrote a big long post and then hit something by accident and lost it all. So much more briefly - I don't seem to get much better mileage from my car than an average petrol car (basing this on aarouteplanner) and wondering why? Driving at 80kpm in fifth gear will take 2000 revs which seems high to me but maybe it's not.

Car had a lot of carbon build up on engine prior to NCT; garage advised drive it 'hard' - high revs (at least 3000) for a few days beforehand. Said engine wasn't heating up enough hence carbon build up. Anyway it passed the NCT ok. Have noticed engine does not get any hotter no matter which way I drive - but does heat up a bit faster at beginning with higher revs.

Wondering if I am making classic mistake of too many short runs in diesel car? It goes on a 40 mile round trip two or three times a week, the rest of the time would be just two or three miles, occasionally five or six.

Is there anything I can do to improve the mpg?

If it's the 2005-2008 model, then [broken link removed] users are reporting an average of 54.7mpg.

The short trips may well be the reason if you're not hitting this figure.

My diesel Galaxy has one of those MPG calculators on the dash. When I remember to reset average mpg when starting off on a journey, it is shocking how many litres per 100km the car uses. Only really settles down after about 10k+.

Wondering if I am making classic mistake of too many short runs in diesel car?

I would think so. Diesels only become fuel efficent when you take them out of town on long journeys. This is why they have been traditional used as fleet or reps cars.

My car also have a fuel consumption computer. When i first start off on a long journey the fuel consumption is high however when I reach my distination it is very low.

A lot of people have recently changed over to diesel cars to avail of the cheaper road tax. Most of these cars will never achieve their max fuel efficency limits as many of them are being used in citys for short journeys. As a result you have many reported problems with clogged DSL.

Last edited:
...I don't seem to get much better mileage from my car than an average petrol car...

Car had a lot of carbon build up on engine....too many short runs....

There is only a small difference on short runs. You need to do big mileage to see a big difference.

Make sure your tyres are pumped up to recommended pressure makes a massive difference on the fuel economy.

Back