How to ground a car aerial?

CPAMG

Anyone know how to ground a car aerial. I'm having problems picking up AM reception on my car radio and I wanted to try this before I replaced the aerial.

No seperate earth is necessary afaik.

Surely the there is metal to metal contact with the car body which then runs to earth in the normal way?

If the radio is working on fm, i'd suggest you look at getting a noise supressor fitted.

Think you could be right RS2K and I think I may have found the problem.

I managed to get the wheel liner off at the weekend and have a good look at the aerial. The aerial and the lead coming from it looked to be in perfect nick, but I found that the point where the car aerial lead was joined to the cable from the back of the radio were joined together using black masking tape!!

When I removed the tape and seperated the wires there was no change in reception on the radio. It seems the aeial had never been working in the first place.

I had thought that the cable running from the the aerial would have connected directly into the back of the radio. The end of the cable looks like a 3/4 inch pin, with a thickness less than that of a golf tee. However, the aerial attachment point on the back of the radio won't accept this. It looks more like a TV cable point. I might be answering my own question here but would I need some sort of adapter. If so, does anyone know what type I need and where I might get one. (96 Seat Ibiza).

Yes radios the connection is either male or female. The antenna connection is male like you said looks like a golf tee.

You can get the gender changers in any motor factors, should only be one or 2 quid.

Back