How to edit a homepage in WordPress?

Protocol

I have no experience in WordPress, but I find myself trying to edit a website built in WordPress.

I understand the idea of <Pages>, I can see the list of pages, and I sort of understand how the navigation menu works.

It's the homepage that I want to edit. It displays a logo and e-mail addresses that I want to replace.

(I don't want to reveal the real website here)

I see Appearances>Themes on the WP dashboard, and I suspect this is important.

Under Settings>Reading, it states that the homepage is always a static page, which is called "Home"

image.png

On the list of Pages, the page called "Home" is marked as the Front page, good, and if I edit the "Home" page, I do not see the logos and e-mail addresses.

This is why I suspect that I should be trying to edit a Theme, rather than editing a Page? Does that sound correct?

When I go to Appearances>Themes, it says that the active theme is a Bare Theme, and there is a Customize button.

I can also click on Theme details, but this doesn't seem to help?

If I choose Appearance>Customise, I see this:

image.png

and the homepage is displayed on the right. I can see the logos and e-mail addresses, but I can't edit them.

Site identity = no good

Menus = no good

Widgets = Your theme has 3 widget areas, but this particular page does not display them.

You can navigate to other pages on your site while using the Customizer to view and edit the widgets displayed on those pages.

???

Homepage Settings = no good

Simple Custom CSS = code, too much for me

Additional CSS = nothing

I am stuck............

Is it *just* on the homepage? Is it part of the main content, or in the header or footer of the page?
Is the email address part of an image, or can you actually select the text?
There are different ways you can inject content like this into pages, like having a header that displays a logo on every page as part of the chosen Theme or having a footer that displays contact info. Sometimes this is done using little helper bits of code called Widgets. OR, the info might just be put in the actual page content itself, in which case you would edit the *page*.
Feel free to PM me and I can see if I can help.

Thank you.

Now that you ask, it is actually on all pages.

There is one logo in the header, along with navigation menu.

There are other logos in the footer, plus the e-mail addresses that I want to edit.

I have seen headers and footers mentioned in Appearances>Customise, so I will have a look.

When I go to Appearance>Widgets, I see:

Footer One = empty/blank
Footer Two = contains some text, which does not exactly match the real footer, and does not contain the e-mail addresses in the real footer.
Heading = empty/blank
Inactive widgets = empty/blank

You do NOT want to muck around with templates unless you know what you are doing, they are pages written in code and will kill your site if you get a comma out of place.
There are multiple ways this could have been done; for example, we use a Plugin that injects standard content into our header. Hence this is nowhere to be found in the Appearances section, as that's not how it works - it adds a new section to Settings which is where you make changes.
I'd be more than happy to take a look on a Zoom call, but there are so many variables that without seeing the site I can't really help more...

Last edited:
Under Appearance, there is the following:
Themes
Customize
Widgets
Menus
Custom CSS
Popup Builder
Them File editor

The active theme is a Bare theme.

Under Theme Details, it says:

Bare ThemeVersion: 1.0​

By [two named people]

Custom built modular theme to use as a base for development.

There are five buttons under this:

Customize Widgets Menus Custom CSS Popup Builder

If I choose Appearance>Customise, I see this:

image.png

and the homepage is displayed on the right. I can see the logos and e-mail addresses, but I can't edit them.

In the page preview on the right, there should be a blue pencil icon beside sections of text that can be edited. If not, try hovering over sections to see if the icon appears.

Yes, there is, there is one blue pencil, but only in the header, and only beside the navigation menu.

When I hover over the logo, the cursor turns into a no entry sign.

I work with WordPress all the time, but I still can't find the theme you are using.

When you look at the themes details, is there a link to the authors' website?

Yes.

I hope this doesn't mean I can't edit it..............................

What I mean is, if you give me the link to the authors' website, I can look at the theme there.

Not the site that you are working on, but the theme creators' site. I presume it a standard theme made available online and not one that was custom made for the site you are editing?

It looks like a personal website, it is in the format themeauthor'sname.com

I clicked on it, access denied.

Back