Motor how to do settle privately after accident

Shaz

Somebody crashed into me and decided to settle privately. I have asked for a quote from a garage for the repairs but now the other party wants me to go another garage as it is slightly cheaper. Are they well within their right to do so? It is not convenient for me to go to the other garage.

Also, can I, at this point, insist that the claim be settled through our insurance companies instead of privately? Will I get less hassle if the claim is settled by our insurance companies?

I wish there was a law that the innocent party can claim for inconvenience as a result of the accident as I am tired of the phone calls and texts back and forth!!!! And I also have to use my annual leave to drop the car in and collect the car after the repairs.

Thanks.

No gardai report as it is only a minor accident. Repairs quoted at €500. But our insurance companies have been notified and the 3rd party has admitted liability.

of course you can settle through the insurance company. Its not a problem. But as an aside as they are at fault they are at your mercy in terms of the garage.... you get to bring it to the garage that suits you, not them.

Back