How to determine water pressure for new taps

g1g

I'm looking at buying new taps for my bathroom. When I went into a showroom the guy said that I would need to know my water pressure before buying the taps as some are not suitable for low pressure. Was looking online and it says "Recommended water pressure between 1 - 5 bar" for some taps I am looking at. I've two questions ...

1. how do I determine whether I am low or high pressure?
  2. what does 1 - 5 bar mean?
I don't want to buy taps only to discover they are not suitable. thanks

Bar is a measure of pressure. 1 bar is approximately the pressure of the atmosphere at sea level. 1 bar of pressure can support a column of water to about 10 meters, this is called head pressure in the plumbing trade. so you may hear plumbers say you have 15 meters of head pressure, this is 1.5 bar.

Dublin City council say they deliver average of 12 - 15 meters of head pressure (1.2 - 1.5bar)

so, without paying a plumber a million Euro to come out to your house to measure the pressure with a manometer, do you think you have average pressure compared to most Dublin dwellings? Are you in an apartment complex above a 2nd storey? then you should have a tank / booster system, then the maintenance personnel aught to be able to tell you what the pressure is.

Link, [broken link removed]

Back