How to declare dividends?

gonesp

Hi everyone,

I've got some dividend gains I'd like to declare. Where do I enter these capital gains in the Form 11?

Should I add these gains and the taxable amount to my PAYE salary totals? Or is there a specific area where I should consider thess CG differently?

Thanks in advance!

What do you mean by "dividend gains"?

Dividends are income you receive from a company in which you own shares
Gains are usually the difference between the selling value and purchase value of an asset after a disposal (share, property,...)

Form 11 has sections to report dividends paid by Irish companies, UK companies, US companies, other companies

I used the wrong words, I meant just dividends.

Where would I declare these in the form 11?

What companies are paying the dividends?
What country are they in?

There is a section in the Foreign Income section for US dividends

Enter the gross amount ie before deduction of any dividend withholding tax

You will get a tax credit of 15% which is set against your Irish tax liability

If more than 15% is deducted you will have to reclaim from the USA Internal Revenue Service. There are forms to be filed with your broker so that only 15% is deducted

There is a section in the Foreign Income section for US dividends

Enter the gross amount ie before deduction of any dividend withholding tax

You will get a tax credit of 15% which is set against your Irish tax liability

If more than 15% is deducted you will have to reclaim from the USA Internal Revenue Service. There are forms to be filed with your broker so that only 15% is deducted
So I need to declare the 15% deducted and the Income tax paid on the remainder of the dividend?

Yes, you need to declare the gross dividend amount, not the net amount you actually received after deduction of the dividend withholding tax

No, you do not declare the tax withheld nor the income tax due, the Revenue calculate it automatically

Just to note if the dividends are in USD to look at exchange rates between when you received the dividends and when you are converting the figure to put into the Form 11.

Just to avoid declaring a gain that is more than you actually received in euros.

I have always used the exchange rates published annually by Revenue. Is that acceptable, and, if so, can one choose whether to use that rate or the rate when the dividend was paid?

Unless you are talking $100,000 of dividend, Revenue won't care which you use - just document whatever you use

Yes, you need to declare the gross dividend amount, not the net amount you actually received after deduction of the dividend withholding tax

No, you do not declare the tax withheld nor the income tax due, the Revenue calculate it automatically
Makes sense! Thanks for the help!

Back