How to decide where to locate a business

Tommy

It's not just about confidentiality and ethical codes. There are people who just do not want other local people to know their business. It's just one of the many factors to consider.

Brendan

Hi Brendan

I am aware of that. However I am unsure that this is as big an issue as some people think.

I know of solicitors, accountants, auctioneers and bank branches that derive a large share of their client base from the immediate neighbourhood, even in small towns. Although some people will prefer to bring their business elsewhere (as I mentioned above) it seems that many people prefer to avoid the inconvenience of travelling elsewhere.

In any case, what goes around comes around and a solicitor can expect to gain as much they will lose from this factor, regardless of where they locate.

This may be your opinion but surely this viewpoint has little relevance here.

If I didn't think my viewpoint had relevance here I wouldn't have posted it. Frankly, it's high-handed of you to dismiss views that do not tally with your own.

If I were setting up a professional legal practice I would be extremely interested to hear what potential customers think. It's called market research.

Frankly, it's high-handed of you to dismiss views that do not tally with your own.
Hang on a second, I never dismissed your view or did I deny that talking to potential customers would be a good idea. However you did dismiss my opinion (which I and others have justified at length) that Vanilla needed to talk to other professionals that had already taken the plunge. I can't see how you could have a problem with that :(

This thread deals with a specific aspect of setting up a professional practice: location of practice.

What I said was:
I would disagree with Tommy's view

That is, I would disagree with your view that fellow professionals are in the best position to judge the best location.

I have no problem disagreeing on this issue. I do have a problem when you wish to determine whose views are "relevant" and whose are not.

how ...

Don' t ask for an opinion if you don't want to hear it .

Re: how ...

Hi temptedd,

I think you may have misunderstood my earlier comment. In order to clarify the point, I hope you don't mind if I repeat myself.

You objected to the following comment:
This may be your opinion but surely this viewpoint has little relevance here.

The "viewpoint" to which I referred was as follows:
My perspective is that the professions would be a lot better off if they spent a little more time listening to their customers, for a change.

Believe it or not, I don't disagree with the sentiment you expressed here. However, I also don't see really how much relevance this has to the specific issue being discussed - the location of Vanilla's practice.

We all have our opinions on how well or how badly certain businesses and industries listen to their customers. If Vanilla is able to listen well to their customers and operate their practice accordingly on that basis, he/she will do well no matter where their base is situated.

Do you see where I'm coming from? :)

Re: how ...

Marie's post on setting up a therapist's practice gives a good example of the industry-specific issues that need to be tackled when forming a professional practice. Obviously things will vary slightly for different industries with different regulatory requirements etc but some of what she says will hold for all types of professions.

Back