How to deal with RAS dispute

Mad Bad Babs

Hi,
I'm in desperate need of help in dealing with County council (RAS scheme). Tenants moved to UK in December. My 4 year contract ended in sept but there was a monthly unsigned 'contract' in place until both sides signed new 4 year contract. Tenants never signed new contract because they gave notice to move out in October. ( they moved out on 17th December). I spent over €300 getting new certs together in the meantime before they gave notice). The tenants left my house in an awful inhabitable condition.I was left to deal with the damages on my own and the estimate cost to date is approx €2,000. Believe me - none of the damages were 'wear and tear'. Furniture broken,professional cleaner to remove human excrement waste from walls, all wood Venetian blinds broken, every single energy saving light bulb removed - (15). Full repaint even though only re painted 1 year previous)
I'm now getting calls from debt collection agency for an unpaid bill as they put my mobile as the contact number)
- you get my drift!!!
I informed the council in December that due to the the amount of damage done and little support from council that I could not commit to a new contract at the moment but I foolishly asked that if I was to rent it ( in desperation due to mortgage commitments)- when would they want it ready and they said early January ( this was the 20th dec when I last spoke to them. I informed them that this would not be possible due to the time of year and damage done.
Due to the emotional and financial cost I've decided to put the house on the market and got a moratorium on my mortgage.
In the mean time the council continued to pay me jan and February rent. I spent the January rent towards damage to house and have held the February rent to return to council.
I received a call from RAS yesterday demanding the two months back immediately as I have been paid in error. They believed I still wanted to rent to them and saw as they 'happened to be driving by' the house that it was now for sale and not available for rent to them. i informed them that one months rent has gone towards damages and I have receipts and photographic evidence of same. I informed him I will return one months rent but not two due to damages. I also had discussion about why they continued to pay me even though I was out of contract and did not commit to renting again. They told me that I did commit to renting and that I was dishonest in not telling them that I am selling the house BUT they admitted it was an oversight on their behalf to pay me. They then informed me that I have committed fraud by accepting state money that is not mine and that it must be returned immediately. I queried about damages caused and he informed me that when I return the two months rent they will then look at damages I "might" be owed and that they 'have always been fair to landlords'.
He ended the conversation with an ultimatum to meet him Monday with a " proposal' to repay the money. I honestly am not in a position to repay 2 months €1,200 immediately. I asked about repaying over a few months and he said no way it MUST be repaid immediately that this is a very serious offence. I was so desperate on the phone yesterday that I told RAS that if they want to take it further they can as I simply don't have €600 to repay at once. They told me that there was no need for this and that it could all be sorted 'in house'.
I am so stressed about all of this I have not slept properly. I genuinely don't feel I owe them 2 months rent back, I accept that the maximum damage that I can get from council is one month therefore my proposal is to repay one month to them.
What does anyone think of all is - how should I negotiate with them if they insist on me paying two months.
Apologies for the long winded story , I am writing this off the top of my head and I hope it makes sense.

Back