How to correct smell coming from ensuite.

LimerickMan

Hi all,

I've noticed a bad odour coming from our (upstairs) ensuite recently, I presume it's coming from the toilet.

The house is less than a year old so can't understand what could be causing it, as I said, I've only noticed the problem recently.

The builders are being typically unhelpful so I'll need to sort this one out myself, would like to avoid paying for a plumber if possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Stinky

I'm presuming that you have the typical en suite with a shower, toilet and basin. How often would each be used? If one of these is used infrequently, the downpipe from it could dry up. Normally, the water in the pipe acts as a block to odours coming back up the pipe.

I'm presuming that you have the typical en suite with a shower, toilet and basin. How often would each be used? If one of these is used infrequently, the downpipe from it could dry up. Normally, the water in the pipe acts as a block to odours coming back up the pipe.

So what do u do in this case?
We bought a seconhand house and have the same problem

Switch on the shower and sink tap for a few minutes.

well, we've been using the sink and the shower pretty much every day. the smell comes suddenly: in the middle of the night or when we come home from work.

It doesn't come after heavy rainfall, by any chance? Ours does that sometimes.. can't tell you why, I'm afraid, but maybe it's a clue...!

When you say it comes after heavy rainfall, and /or quite suddenly, it leads me to suspct that you may have a broken drainage pipe (outside, and underground). This happened me and the ground had to be dug up and the pipe replaced. The council do it, but the cost was divided between the houses who are seved by the offending pipe. If the builders are still on-site, I would insist on them putting rods down the outside drains ie. the manholes, to check for blockages.

Hi Ohelia, that's very interesting, thanks... the rods you refer to are presumably flexible and extensible (i.e. like chimney cleaning rods or something)? Also, would you expect that, having found a blockage with these rods, say 12 foot along the drainage pipe, the suspected breakage would be expected to be above that same point?

As incorrectly mentionned previously, the downpipes are always dry. Bad odour will appear if the syphons are empty. There should always be some water in it, that's what blocking the odour from coming back from the drain/sewage into your house

Few reasons lead to syphons being empty, main ones being:
- Lack of use (not you case)
- If the dowpipes are not correctly vented. Typical case if that the shower syphon empties when the toilet is flushed assuming they are connected to same downpipe (which they are in typical ensuite). Or on windy days/heavy rainfall, the draft created in the downpipes could affect the water level in the siphon, hence odour coming in.

First thing to do as usual is to try to find root cause yourself by checking water level in all siphons when odour appears.

Fill up all the siphons and smell each of one to try to detect any odour. They should be none. Note water level (not easy but doable).

When odor comes back, smell each siphon again and find which one if letting the odor in.. Check water level, if should be too low hence odor coming in.
I bet you that the problem is the size fo the vent pipe which should be of the same size as the downpipe (approx 100mm -110mm)

Hope it helps.

Exactly, Ursbin. If the rods can't get through it would suggest that there is a broken / blocked pipe at that point. they will try flushing it through with a power spray first but may end up having to dig.

As incorrectly mentionned previously, the downpipes are always dry. Bad odour will appear if the syphons are empty. There should always be some water in it, that's what blocking the odour from coming back from the drain/sewage into your house

Few reasons lead to syphons being empty, main ones being:
- Lack of use (not you case)
- If the dowpipes are not correctly vented. Typical case if that the shower syphon empties when the toilet is flushed assuming they are connected to same downpipe (which they are in typical ensuite). Or on windy days/heavy rainfall, the draft created in the downpipes could affect the water level in the siphon, hence odour coming in.

First thing to do as usual is to try to find root cause yourself by checking water level in all siphons when odour appears.

Fill up all the siphons and smell each of one to try to detect any odour. They should be none. Note water level (not easy but doable).

When odor comes back, smell each siphon again and find which one if letting the odor in.. Check water level, if should be too low hence odor coming in.
I bet you that the problem is the size fo the vent pipe which should be of the same size as the downpipe (approx 100mm -110mm)

Hope it helps.

Hi Bacchus,

We have a similar problem intermittently in our ensuite and I haven't got to the bottom of it yet. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a siphon - could you explain the term?

When we've had the problem I've smelled the shower, sink and toilet and never got an odour from any of them. The only thing I've managed to get an odour from is the ceiling extractor fan - could this be the cause?

Also how would you suggest checking the water levels?

Thanks,

M

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a siphon - could you explain the term?

I believe what they're referring to here is actually the trap, usually a U bend where water will sit to block the air path back from the waste.

Siphoning happens where the waste is not properly ventilated, the soil stack should have be vented up at roof level. If there is no ventilation, or it is inadequate, water, etc. flowing out the waste can cause a vacuum which will siphon the water out of the trap.
Leo

Siphoning happens where the waste is not properly ventilated, the soil stack should have be vented up at roof level. If there is no ventilation, or it is inadequate, water, etc. flowing out the waste can cause a vacuum which will siphon the water out of the trap.
Leo

Thanks, Leo. You wrote in one sentence very clearly what I wrote in many sentences and in gobbledigook.:)

Leo,

Can you tell me if you have heard of such a thing as a "mushroom" vent and is it adequate for venting a soil stack ?

Thanks

Hi Bacchus,

We have a similar problem intermittently in our ensuite and I haven't got to the bottom of it yet. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a siphon - could you explain the term?

When we've had the problem I've smelled the shower, sink and toilet and never got an odour from any of them. The only thing I've managed to get an odour from is the ceiling extractor fan - could this be the cause?

Also how would you suggest checking the water levels?

Thanks,

M

This could be the ceiling vent to outside having a kink in it, water/moisture gets trapped and goes stagnant and smells after a while.

Can you tell me if you have heard of such a thing as a "mushroom" vent and is it adequate for venting a soil stack ?

Sure have, see this previous thread. See this [broken link removed] for examples of them and their installation. Heatmerchants and I'm sure more other plumbing outlets stock these Hunter traps for less than a tenner.
Leo

I've fitted these in a few places: HepvO Hygienic Self Sealing Waste Valve

[broken link removed]

Usually on standing white waste pipes e.g. sinks, dishwashers, washing machines etc......5 mins to fit, and you don't need to be a plumber.

We have recently moved into a new house and are tiling and doing all the work ourselves. This meant we did the main bathroom first and it was the only one we used.
After a couple of weeks we noticed a foul odour coming from the ensuite and downstairs loo. It was, as has been said, caused by the toilet being dry, all the water in the u bend had evaporated.
Now we just flush the loo and runs the taps regularly and no more smell.

Back