How to correct a gap in your PRSI record?

rob oyle

I've just received my PRSI record (which goes back 25 years now!) and it seems that my college job (late 90s) did not make PRSI contributions in my name. As this was my second job ever, I now have a gap of c. 2.5 years without any paid or credited contributions. That doesn't mean much right now but, in case I need it later, is something I would like to correct.

What is the first point of contact to correct my record?

That college job may not have paid PRSI on your behalf (assuming it was taxed etc). If you think that PRSI contributions were/should have been made, you could contact the records office of the Dept of Social Protection which is based in Buncrana, in Donegal. You could argue you case with them, give them as much detail as you can etc.
Whether a 2.5 year gap might prove anyway significant in the future, is hard to estimate. It is the intention to change the calculation model for the State Pension in the future to one where you get 1/40th of the State PenDion for each year of PRSI contribution. So as long as you have 40 years of contributions by the State retirement age (whether 66, 67 or 68) you will perhaps get the full State Pension. The Government have recently established a Pensions Commission to review the State Pension, so we will just have to await its recommendations.

That college job may not have paid PRSI on your behalf (assuming it was taxed etc). If you think that PRSI contributions were/should have been made, you could contact the records office of the Dept of Social Protection which is based in Buncrana, in Donegal. You could argue you case with them, give them as much detail as you can etc.
Whether a 2.5 year gap might prove anyway significant in the future, is hard to estimate. It is the intention to change the calculation model for the State Pension in the future to one where you get 1/40th of the State PenDion for each year of PRSI contribution. So as long as you have 40 years of contributions by the State retirement age (whether 66, 67 or 68) you will perhaps get the full State Pension. The Government have recently established a Pensions Commission to review the State Pension, so we will just have to await its recommendations.
Thanks... I'll call them.

I understand the State Pension review machinations, but given the pace of pension reform in this State I'd like to have all possible tools for my own pension application down the tracks.
I suspect my employer avoided paying PRSI in the case of all their teenage employees back then and wouldn't support a correction of the record if it opened up a can of worms for them now (business still in operation)!

suspect my employer avoided paying PRSI in the case of all their teenage employees back then
This happened to me on my first job. I didn't realise til 20 years later.

I have never followed up but the company is long defunct and I never kept a payslip.

Let us know how you get on.

If you can dig up proof (payslips, P60's tax records, diary) you should contact records section. Were you over sixteen? Did your pay come in cash/ brown envelope or was this an employer who was a bit scarce on paperwork

If you can dig up proof (payslips, P60's tax records, diary) you should contact records section. Were you over sixteen? Did your pay come in cash/ brown envelope or was this an employer who was a bit scarce on paperwork
Was from age 16 onwards for 3 years, no payslips ever issued but was paid by cheque each week... you'd think someone trying to hide it would've paid cash?!?
If it's not recorded then there'd be no tax records, hence the gap.
I'll update as I go.

If you can find records/proof that you worked there for 2.5 years or thereabouts it is possible for DSP to add credits (not payments) to your record. These credits could be just as valuable as payments for pension purposes

This happened to me on my first job. I didn't realise til 20 years later.

I have never followed up but the company is long defunct and I never kept a payslip.

Let us know how you get on.
Does this mean you won't get the full old age state pension as a result?

Back