How to copy files from a laptop to another laptop.

Slash

My laptop at home seems to be banjaxed. Cannot boot up in Normal mode, but can boot up in safe mode. (Using Windows Vista).

Therefore, i think i can do a Windows reinstall, which would involve losing all my files on the hard disk, which i don't want to do. (No, I never backed up the hard disk, but will from now on).

So, would it be possible to copy the contents of the hard disk (in safe mode) to another laptop and then transfer back when the Windows reinstall is completed? If so, how?

Thanks.

First thing is to backup your "user" files/data before doing anything more - e.g. copy them to another hard drive, flash driver, cloud storage etc.

You may be able to do a repair install of Windows to fix whatever problem you're having and avoid a total reinstall and loss of data that may not be backed up. Some laptop vendors allow you to boot into a repair or recovery partition on the hard disk to do this. Just be careful you don't choose an option that wipes your machine and reverts to factory setup - at least not just yet..

On the other hand it's difficult to say what the problem here at this remove and with limited technical info (e.g. your Windows installation could be corrupted for some reason, your hard disk could be failing etc.).

Ideally get somebody with technical expertise to help you rather than doing anything blindly or without understanding.

I guess so - as long as you can see the files (e.g. in Windows Explorer or on your desktop or whatever) then you can do what you like with them (e.g. copy them to some external storage).

Back