How to claim tax back on nursing home fees?

raglan

Hi , My Mum is waiting to go into a nursing home and we are looking into payment options for her contribution. We are waiting for fair deal to complete. I have recently read that you can claim tax back on fees, if someone on higher rate of tax in the family was to do this….how does it work….do they need to get monthly invoice from nursing home as evidence with their name on it? Would there be a problem with Mum paying the person the monthly amount via bank but person actually paying the fee in order to claim tax which would ultimately end up going back to Mum. Is this ok to do?

if someone on higher rate of tax in the family was to do this….how does it work….do they need to get monthly invoice from nursing home as evidence with their name on it?
Yes, although they don't need to send in invoices unless asked. They can claim the tax back via their Revenue myAccount.
Would there be a problem with Mum paying the person the monthly amount via bank but person actually paying the fee in order to claim tax which would ultimately end up going back to Mum. Is this ok to do?
This is not supposed to be done although maybe by using gift tax allowances it might be kosher. I'm not a tax expert.

Back