How to claim LPT exemption if you purchase a house this year

Brendan Burgess

Founder
[FONT=&quot]If you have already bought a home in 2013 or if you buy a home before the end of 2013, as your sole or main residence, you will be exempt from LPT for 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 whether or not you are a first time buyer.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But you must proactively make a claim for exemption. If you don’t make the claim, Revenue will deduct the LPT from your salary or other income.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To make the claim, you must download the form, LPT4 “Change of Ownership Form” from the Revenue website. You cannot make a Change of Ownership return online, you must download the form.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Under the “Exemption type” put in the letter “B”. Although this is the “first time buyers” exemption, and you are not really a first time buyer, this is the right box. Leave Section 4: Payment Options blank.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ignore Section 3 “Valuation” unless you feel that the valuation as of 1 May used by the seller is incorrect. (This will only be relevant to you if you sell the house before 2017)
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Post the completed form to Revenue Commissioners, Local Property Tax, PO Box 1, Limerick.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In theory, the deadline for this was 7 November, so do it as soon as possible. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alternatively, you can register online for a service called Revenue Secure Mail and email the completed LPT4
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you have already paid your LPT for 2013 or 2014, wait until the Revenue writes to you. [/FONT]

Have passed this info onto a few people so far...pls upgrade to a key post so it doesn't get lost

I have just bought a house been sale agreed for 2 weeks but there is a possibility the sale wont be finalised till Jan will I have to pay the property tax. Thanks in advance

Rion. Have you contracts signed and are there any conditions in the contract

Hi rion

The seller has to pay the LPT for 2014 and will probably charge it to you. It depends on what you agree in the contract.

If you close the sale i.e. pay for the house and get the keys on or before 31 December , you will be exempt from LPT for 2015 and 2016.

Related to this topic, has anyone who specified a Single Debt Authority on the LPT4 form but now wishes to cancel it in light of Brendan's good work, been able to do so? I can only find DD cancellation forms on the BOI website.

Back