How to change these light bulbs ?

TarfHead

In my mother's house, a new bathroom was installed downstairs. The ceiling lights are recessed - flush with the surface of the ceiling.

I've never used this type of light before and now one of the bulbs needs to be replaced. There's no obvious (to me :eek:) way of getting at the fitting, other than pulling the entire fitting out of the ceiling. There's a spring involved so I'm reluctant to take it all the way out so in case I break it.

Is there a knack to replacing the bulbs in such fittings ?

Most likely you turn them anti clockwise - you need to apply some pressure, but not too much or they can break & then you have a job to get them out!!

HTH

With the light switched off look at the bulb, there's a spring holding it in. At the ends of the spring there will be a bend, which allows you to squeeze the spring, and release it from a slight recess in the fitting. Once the spring is out, the bulb should drop down, or will with a slight tap if its stuck.. Unplug the bulb and replace.

If theyre the g10 bulb, then as sam says, push up and twist anti clockwise.

Thanks

The unit has a 'brass' surround and a frosted disc, which is I assume to be seperate from the bulb. The only thing I tried was to pull at the entire fitting usng the 'brass' surround. Are you suggesting that the frosted disc can twist and release, or that I should continue with what I tried and release the springs when I've access ?

My fear is that if I pull too much at the fitting that something will break.

You need to carefully use a flat screwdriver to lever out the glass. This requires a little force, I was nervous of breaking the glass the first time I encountered these fittings. The glass is well wedged in there for reasons of keeping the steam out and making the fittings bathroom safe.

Don't remove the entire fitting, you'll still need to remove the glass disc, and this will be more difficult with the fitting hanging by the wire.

Once you get the disc off, then push and twist the GU10 bulb as described above.
Leo

I've just got new lights in my bathroom and they are also recessed into the ceiling. The front plate twists away from the main body of the light. This allows access to the bulb and bulb holder. Just twist old bulb out and new bulb in. Oh, make sure its cool enough to handle.

I ended up removing the brass surround and part of the ceiling trying to get at these guys.

If you can see the "spring" , is the end of it peeping over the edge of the bulb? If so pull on this and the bulb should come out

Getting it back is more difficult.

Brendan

There should be no reason to take the actual fitting out of the ceiling. The bulb will come out without removing fitting.

You will have to remove the whole fitting. Bathroom recessed lights are required by regulations to be totally enclosed.

You will have to remove the whole fitting. Bathroom recessed lights are required by regulations to be totally enclosed.

I've replaced a number of these without removing the fitting as detailed above. Each manufacturer has their own means of obtaining the required IP54 seal, but I've never seen one that requires the entire unit to be removed from the ceiling. Not saying they don't exist, but that would be poor design.

And it's not my home, it's my mother's. And the 2 other bulbs in the bathroom still work.

Not a great idea to be changing lamps (especially ones you are not familiar with) while the circuit is "live".
Which is what is being implied here.

Not a great idea to be changing lamps (especially ones you are not familiar with) while the circuit is "live".
Which is what is being implied here.

If, as suggested, it is possible to replace the bulb without removing the fitting, then is the fact, that the circuit is live, an issue ? I've never had to shut down a fuse before changing a light bulb :confused: ?

No, you shouldn't have to isolate the circuit at the distributor board. But the bathroom lighting circuit should be cut off by the switch: you should not have the other lights on.

No, you shouldn't have to isolate the circuit at the distributor board. But the bathroom lighting circuit should be cut off by the switch: you should not have the other lights on.

I have come across (albeit only a few times) where the neutral has been switched, instead of the phase.
ALWAYS safer to isolate at DB. Especially when somebody is being exploratory.

I took a closer look on Friday and the disc in front of the bulb cannot be removed. My brother in law will look after it - he's more adept at DIY than me :eek:

Back