How to change house number

lantern01

There is confusion on my road about a house number which is a corner house at a junction. For example let's call it 6A that's a detached house which is separated from the next house(terraced) number 6 by about 50m, a bit of council owned green and a council owned laneway. Number 6A wasn't built on number 6 land, in fact it was built on private land(not a developer estate, it's one off housing) attached to the next street around the corner! The electricity connection, water and the sewage is connected to the next street not where number 6 is located, it has caused huge problems for the emergency services and the post for years despite having an Eircode.

The street doesn't have a number 2 or a number 4 for even numbers so was wondering is it possible to change number 6A to let's say number 4 legally and at what cost? It's a mortgaged property, I've googled for answers but the results only give back if a person is moving which isn't the case. The council website doesn't give an answer either. An ideas on how to legally change the house number?

it has caused huge problems for the emergency services and the post for years despite having an Eircode.
"Huge problems"? How often do the emergency services call to the street? How difficult is it to stick misdirected post in the correct letterbox like a friendly neighbour would?

Why not give the house a name instead of a number? "dunroamin" instead of 6a?
The builder gave the house that number. A house name has no legal standing to help find the house.
"Huge problems"? How often do the emergency services call to the street? How difficult is it to stick misdirected post in the correct letterbox like a friendly neighbour would?
There was an ambulance emergency before and they couldn't find 6A which isn't that visible until you travel 50m to the top of the street, the people in number 6 and number 8 were not at home either to help, this confusion cost valuable time. The gardai and the fire brigade got confused too over separate issues in the past. The neighbours are sick of walking up to the top of the street for years, An Post don't deliver properly there.

So how do you change the house number legally?

While they are waiting to find out what the legal route is, they could put a large number 4 on the outside wall of the house. Then change the address with anybody posting to the house, to number 4.

There is no legal register of addresses in Ireland.

You should contact the Geodirectoey which is the database used by An Post and contains the eircodes. You can’t change eircode but I imagine you can change the house number on the database entry. Google Maps (AFAIK) will update from this what it can take a number of months.

Equally important is to discuss with all your neighbours in advance so that there is no confusion or dispute. Talk to your postman as well.

The builder gave the house that number. A house name has no legal standing to help find the house.

There was an ambulance emergency before and they couldn't find 6A which isn't that visible until you travel 50m to the top of the street, the people in number 6 and number 8 were not at home either to help, this confusion cost valuable time. The gardai and the fire brigade got confused too over separate issues in the past. The neighbours are sick of walking up to the top of the street for years, An Post don't deliver properly there.

So how do you change the house number legally?
The local council planning department has responsibility for approving the names of housing estates and streets and numbering as well for new build estates. I suggest you contact them directly first. I get this is a different issue but they would be the people best placed to advise

The local council planning department has responsibility for approving the names of housing estates and streets and numbering as well for new build estates.
It’s not a planning issue, so I suspect they will not know how to help or even care.

The entry on Geodirectory is the closest thing to an official address in Ireland, and that is where I would start.

I can't see any issue. Street names are for the council, but street numbers are usually applied by the developer.
If you think about it, the number 6a (as the example) was probably simply attached by the builder of the house

I would think it's as easy as using the new number and ensuring there is no objection from the closer neighbours and then, as mentioned above let the post delivery person know and write to the manager of the local an post delivery services unit and geo directory.

If it makes more logical sense, just do it.

Back