how to approach dictatorial boss

misemoll

Work in a small place in public sector, about 7 staff.

Boss behaves like a total dictator, treats us like children, to the point that now there is no formal communication, no meetings to let us know of new developments etc.

Usually we find out things accidently, if someone happens to be talking to boss and brings up something, they will get an answer which they then pass on. Initiative or ideas are actively discouraged, in short staff have no input on their working lives.

This is really affecting me as I feel like the 'hired help' with no future. It is not feasible to move jobs as there is nothing else in my area.

I would like to discuss this with the boss but don't know how to approach it, someone tried already and wasn't entertained.

Has anyone any advice on a possible approach, without sounding whingy, threatening, overly critical of her management style or 'out to get the boss'.

Some of the staff don't want to rock the boat, so a group approach is not on.
thanks

Reading your call for help, it sounds like you and your colleagues are being bullied. Are you members of a union? If you are, go through that channel. If not, make enquiries about joining the appropriate union for your service/level. Nobody has to put up with a bully in the workplace - those days are gone. Do something concrete as advised above. Document all instances of bullying behaviour with input from colleagues with specific time/date/actions. Take action yourself! Fight back!

Union would be a good suggestion. Is there a board or council that oversee the organisation? Who does the boss report to?

I don't think it will be possible to address this without being 'overly critical of her management style'. If her style is the problem, then the offending behaviours have to be identified and addressed.

It's the Public sector, complain and she'll just get moved somewhere else. Mind would someone rock the boat and get a staff member fired

Back