How to approach a Roundabout (multi lane)

P

polo9n

i like to have a discussion on how to approach a roundabout? does all car who entered the roundabout has enqual rightaway? i found it many driver exit the roundbaout from a middle lane that once oyu are in their way, they flash/beep you to get out of their way?

i know a lot of people simply cut into others path when driving in roundabout..

whats your view and experience you got?
AM i in the wrong position? i think i need to resit my driving test again, the driving test i done yrs ago the exmainer didn't take me thru one!

Re: Roundabout Approach

Yield to the right and yield to vehicles already on the roundabout.

Yield to the right and yield to vehicles already on the roundabout.

yeah thats my rule of thumb..but some big A-hole behind me want me to yield for him....and they don't bother changing into inside lane when exiting
of course i didn't speed up or slow down to keep him sweet..nice try though

Most of the problems on roundabouts I feel are caused either by people changing lanes (2 lanes in, 2 lanes out, 3rd exit etc), or cars not travelling at the same speed and trying to over/under take each other on the roundabout. The first would be solved if people looked & indicated before changing lanes (surely this always applies?), the second by a little courtesy.

yeah thats my rule of thumb..but some big A-hole behind me want me to yield for him....and they don't bother changing into inside lane when exiting
of course i didn't speed up or slow down to keep him sweet..nice try though
Slightly confused by this.

If you yield for someone behind you, surely you're blocking them?
Did you mean someone on your inside (to your right)?

....and they don't bother changing into inside lane when exiting
On exiting, wouldn't you change to the outside lane (inside = closest to the centre
, outside = furthest from the centre
)?

I did spot the original query on roundabouts pop up on the other thread. Seemed an issue with multiple lane numbers (2 entry lanes > 3 lanes on the roundabout) and the general lane cutting which happens. The real problem is that even if you know the rules inside out, the driver beside you may not. As someone who often uses the Kinsale Rd., Headford Rd., Red Cow it really is amazing what some drivers will do on aproaching/exiting these roundabouts.​

Slightly confused by this.

If you yield for someone behind you, surely you're blocking them?
i meant i am not slowing down to block them in purpose
Did you mean someone on your inside (to your right)?
yes.thats rite someone from ur 4 oclock position

On exiting, wouldn't you change to the outside lane (inside = closest to the centre
, outside = furthest from the centre
)?​

i meant the other way around

i actually mean the other way around.well that doesn't matter as far as i don't drive this way..haa
yep, no offence but especially Jeep and Vans are very bad exiting roundabout...taken the point that they are hard to manouver..but giving a bit of signal and patience and less ASStitude that will make better road for everyone​

biggest problem i have is people who indicate right when they are going straight through a roundabout, or those who don't indicate at all when turning right - very frustrating when trying to get on to a busy roundabout

biggest problem i have is people who indicate right when they are going straight through a roundabout, or those who don't indicate at all when turning right - very frustrating when trying to get on to a busy roundabout

yes that would be a big problem, i am always very cautious especially driving thru those smaller roundabout near Liffey valley, people cross over many times when exiting.not once.but many many times

AFAIK...

Taking a 2 lane, 4 exit roundabout as an example with 1st 2nd 3rd and
4th exits set as the 9 oclock, 12 oclock, 3 oclock and 6 oclock positions
respectively with you always approaching the roundabout from 6oclock.

If all entrances and exits are dual carriageways:

if you intend to travel out of first exit (9 o clock 1st and nearest exit on left) you should be in the left lane only when approaching the roundabout. Indicate left at entrance to roundabout

if you intend exiting the roundabout at 12 o clock (straight through - 2nd
exit), you may be in either the left or right hand lane upon entering and exiting the roundabout. Indicate left as you pass first exit of roundabout.

if you intend exiting the roundabout at the 3 o clock position (3rd exit)
you may only enter the roundabout in the right lane and must remain on the right lane all the way around until your exit. Indicate right at entrance to roundabout and indicate left when you get to the 2nd exit (12 o clock)

if you intend exiting the roundabout at the 6 o clock position (4th exit)
you may only enter the roundabout in the right lane and must remain on the right lane all the way around until your exit. Indicate right at entrance to roundabout, indicate left as you pass the 3rd exit.

As you can see, Indicating to get off should ideally happen when you are at the last exit before the one you wish to get off at. i.e. if you wish to go out of the third exit, start indicating when you draw level with the second exit.

For single lane roads approaching and exiting a 2 lane roundabout:

if you intend to travel out of first exit (9 o clock 1st and nearest exit on
left) you should only enter the left lane when approaching the roundabout.

if you intend exiting the roundabout at 12 o clock (straight through - 2nd
exit), I think that you may be in either the left or right hand lane upon entering the roundabout (but I personally would recommend that you always enter and exit in the left lane in this case) if however you find
yourself forced to enter in the right lane, you will be required to filter into the left hand lane before exiting the roundabout.

if you intend exiting the roundabout at the 3 o clock position (3rd exit) you may only enter the roundabout in the right lane and must remain on the right lane until you have passed the 12 o clock position where you then indicate that you intend to come off at the next exit and you then filter carefully into the left lane and exit at 3 o clock.

if you intend exiting the roundabout at the 6 o clock position (4th exit)
you may only enter the roundabout in the right lane and must remain on
the right lane until you have passed the 3 o clock position (3rd exit) where
you then indicate that you intend to come off at the next exit and filter
carefully into the left lane and exit at 6 o clock.

Indicators to be used as before.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER ATTEMPT TO ENTER A 2
LANE ROUNDABOUT IN THE LEFT LANE AND TRY TO TRAVEL ALL THE WAY
AROUND IN THIS LANE TO THE 3 O CLOCK POSITION (3rd exit) OR TO THE
6 O CLOCK POSITION(4th exit) AS YOU WILL EITHER END UP DENTED,
BANGED, BEEPED AT, ABUSED, HAVE THE ROAD TRAFFIC ACT THROWN AT
YOU, OR WORSE YOU WILL BECOME A STATISTIC.

Always use descretion and respect when using roundabouts and if some
idiot does cut you up or someone tries to enter / exit the wrong lanes etc, just relax, let them go on their merry way concentrate on your own driving and be thankful that you survived the roundabout.

Eyes in the back of your head are also useful implements.

Watch out for BMW's the new ones come equipped with no mirrors or indicators :p

These are my assumptions only, read your road traffic rules book.

If anything I have posted is incorrect, please correct it.

Always use descretion and respect when using roundabouts and if some
idiot does cut you up or someone tries to enter / exit the wrong lanes etc, just relax, let them go on their merry way concentrate on your own driving and be thankful that you survived the roundabout.

Best piece of advice I've seen! Exactly the same applies in a load of other situations, such as for example waiting to turn onto a main road and a car is approaching from your right. He may be indicating left, and do so...or not. He may not be indicating, and turn left....or not. Someone once said that you should drive as though everyone on the road, including yourself, is an idiot.

Last edited:

very detailed reply ever seen Morpheus.thanks for that

if you intend exiting the roundabout at the 3 o clock position (3rd exit)
you may only enter the roundabout in the right lane and must remain on the right lane all the way around until your exit. Indicate right at entrance to roundabout and indicate left when you get to the 2nd exit (12 o clock)

To do this however, you effectively have to cross over the outside lane, with the strong possibility that there is another car already in the outside lane who is not taking that exit, especially on a busy roundabout. You can't stop on the roundabout to wait for a space to exit....

And in regards to your 'under no circumstances....', when faced with a very busy roundabout this is exactly what I will do; otherwise I can pretty much guarantee that I won't be able to exit at the correct point as there will be traffic in the outside lane and I'll have to go around again and get into the outside lane at any point that I can.

otherwise I can pretty much guarantee that I won't be able to exit at the correct point as there will be traffic in the outside lane and I'll have to go around again and get into the outside lane at any point that I can.

i would go around the r'about if my exit is not cleared. that may not be best option but i don't like cutting straight into others lane and blocking all the cars in the right lane..just try to be a little considerate

... when faced with a very busy roundabout this is exactly what I will do
Have you ever thought that if motorists (and I know it's not just a handful it is quite a few) simply followed the rules [similiar to the guide above] then these problems wouldn't be problems.

Looking at your two points, can you see the link between number 2 leading to number 1?

To do this however, you effectively have to cross over the outside lane, with the strong possibility that there is another car already in the outside lane who is not taking that exit, especially on a busy roundabout. You can't stop on the roundabout to wait for a space to exit....

Hmmm... just re-read my post, you should infact i think filter into the left hand lane before reaching your desired exit, as i said, this was my opinion written at my desk and when i run it through my head, i think that I usally filter out to the left lane first...

wait a sec. i enter a 6 o clock, travelling around to 3 o clock position in right lane.
driver enters at 9 o clock in left lane, so technically he has to exit at 12 or 3 o clock too (see rule about left lane only used for your first or second exit) therefore he shouldnt interfere with my cutting across his lane at 3 o clock as this is the last exit he can take before he is breaking the law and cutting me up.

if i reach 12 o clock in right lane and a driver now is waiting at 12 to enter either lane he still cant cut me up at my exit as i will have indicated left in front of him to show my intention to leave the roundabout at the next exit, so he should technically wait as im on the roundabout and am about to cut across both lanes to make my exit.

is this not correct???

right left right left right left ... so confusing....

And in regards to your 'under no circumstances....', when faced with a very busy roundabout this is exactly what I will do; otherwise I can pretty much guarantee that I won't be able to exit at the correct point as there will be traffic in the outside lane and I'll have to go around again and get into the outside lane at any point that I can.

So on a "busy" 2 lane roundabout, you will attempt to enter it on the ouside line with the sole intention of travelling in that lane all the way past both first and second exits to take the third or fourth?

If that is the case with you (correct me if im wrong) then im sorry to offend you, I am of the opinion that drivers who do this should be removed from the gene pool. If you are willing to take one risk (and a bloody big one at that) on a roundabout where traffic is likely to be heaviest, then you have a thick neck and an even thicker skull and most likely take more risks elsewhere further endangering others lives on our already lethal roads. I would never do this. its plain stoopid.

It drives me mad when drivers do this.. its a ridiculous and very dangerous thing to do. Its pure selfish, putting others in danger just because its difficult to get to your lane.

Link c/w pictures.

In Cork, the Bandon Rd O, Sarsfield Rd O and Kinsale Rd O are all treacherous. To be fair, some of the problems were down to incorrect lane markings or lane markings disappearing BUT if everyone knew the rules of the road - there wouldn't be a problem. These have all now been rectified AFAIK. Aside from people not knowing how to use a O, there are also the people who do know, but chose to ignore them to jump some traffic by whatever means necessary - incl. "making" new lanes!

The biggest problem is people staying in the outermost (left) lane and trying to go the whole way round.
To be honest I think a lot of people are completely incapable of the "formation driving" required on roundabouts.
My particular gripe is with junctions with two or more lanes for turning right. An example would be at Templeogue Bridge coming from the M50/Spawell. The amount of people who can't handle these situations is an indictment of our driving test system.

The biggest problem is people staying in the outermost (left) lane and trying to go the whole way round.
To be honest I think a lot of people are completely incapable of the "formation driving" required on roundabouts.
My particular gripe is with junctions with two or more lanes for turning right. An example would be at Templeogue Bridge coming from the M50/Spawell. The amount of people who can't handle these situations is an indictment of our driving test system.

i agree...or people staying on outside lane to take 2nd exit..stopping in middle of roundabout ! that don't just happen at O, also happen at many junction cutting two lanes to get to an exit :-(

So the rules of the road don't apply to you?

If people do not feel that they can confidently drive and manoveur their vehicles, without putting other drivers in danger, then they should not be driving.

Back