How Strong is Barclay Bank (France)

galleryman

I wanted to open an non res a/c with Barclays France but I am in the dark about the financial stability of Barclays Plc.

I Just read on Bloomberg.com that Barclays was one of the biggest borrowers from the US Fed back in 2008 the week that it acquired the U.S. operation of Lehman Brothers Holding. They borrowed $48bn from the US Fed. To me that doesn't sound great!!!!!

Is Barclays well capitalised or is it in trouble and in need of recapitalisation like so many other banks?

Would love to hear from anyone with knowledge of this.

thanks

Hi galleryman,
I wanted to do the same, but haven't even had an answer when I logged a request through their internet site and also used the email that Happy Girl posted. Did you get any info from them or have you perhaps got phone contact details?
Sorry I can't answer your question!

When every bank in France is more or less paying interest rates of 1.75% and barclays are coming way north of that it smells of the same mental banking that's going on here. How can banks offer higher interest rates than they borrow at?

They haven't got back to me yet, b

The 5% for 3 months appears to be a hook. It is only 1.8% thereafter and it is aimed at individuals with over $50k to deposit so not for everyone.

I wanted to open an non res a/c with Barclays France but I am in the dark about the financial stability of Barclays Plc.

I Just read on Bloomberg.com that Barclays was one of the biggest borrowers from the US Fed back in 2008 the week that it acquired the U.S. operation of Lehman Brothers Holding. They borrowed $48bn from the US Fed. To me that doesn't sound great!!!!!

Is Barclays well capitalised or is it in trouble and in need of recapitalisation like so many other banks?

Would love to hear from anyone with knowledge of this.

thanks

Is this the same article from Bloomberg,
bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-30/diamond-parries-attacks-on-pay-at-barclays-with-vow-to-earn-public-s-trust.html
as it states, quote "The bargain-basement price paid for the Lehman acquisition helped propel Barclays Capital past its rivals"

It's an interesting article about Barclays Plc, some good, some bad news, but is any bank safe today?

As Galleryman says, they are offering in Barclays France plc 5% for 3 months and then reverts to 1.8% (aer) thereafter. Min investment 50K. 5% only applies on 250K max. Money must be in the account before 31-12-10. LCL offered similar deal with 4% for 3 months and 1.25% thereafter but that offer is now closed. BNP have no offers except 1.25%. All on demand accounts.
As advised by LCL banker in France, its shopping around times in France, banks release new offers contnuously.

BNP, one of the big 'safe' banks has a credit rating (S&P) of AA, Barclays Plc has an AA- rating.

BNP, one of the big 'safe' banks has a credit rating (S&P) of AA, Barclays Plc has an AA- rating, LCL(Credit Lyonnais) AA- , Credit Agricole AA-. So, if you want the 'safest' big bank in France its BNP, which is the largest bank in the world by assets.

Back