How soon does built up No Claims Discount expire if not insured?

R

rmelly

I have a full licence and 7+ years no claims discount. Since switching jobs a couple of years ago I use public transport to get to work, so I no longer use the car much (a few thousand km's per year).

If I get rid of my car, how quickly (in years) will I lose my no claims discount? If I got another car in 2 or 3 years would I start from scratch etc?

You should check with your insurer but I think 2 years validity after expiration of previous insurance policy might be typical.

Thanks - does it typically expire completely, or is there a step back type scenario?

I have used AA as broker for last few years and have switched each year, so am looking for general guide rather than for a specific insurer.

It usually expires completely after 2 years. If you are married and your spouse has a car insure it in your name for a year then hers for a year etc. If you're not I don't know what you could do!

thanks - looks like it may be cheaper to keep the car. I'll run the numbers and see what insurance I'd be paying with no NCD.

Surely if you give up your car for awhile and then decide to have one again later a No Claims bonus is automatically available on the new policy as you have not made an insurance claim? Your could contact your present insurer for confirmation but I think they base NCB's on number of years you have had a full driving licence and whether or not you have made insurance claims.

NO Marie - unfortunately that is not the way. An unused bonus expires after two years.

It usually expires completely after 2 years. If you are married and your spouse has a car insure it in your name for a year then hers for a year etc.
If you lie about who is the main driver of a car, your insurance contract may be null and void.

You could try putting yourself as a named driver on another car, so you keep an insurance record intact. I don't know if this wouold work, you would have to do some research.

Back