How safe are chest freezers?

thedaras

Ive just purchased one and the lid slams closed with such vorticity that it could take the hand off anyone who wasn't quick enough to get out of the way very quickly.

Im very concerned that the kids would look in it for an ice pop and wouldn't realise how quickly and how hard the lid slams shut..honestly it slams down so hard it makes a bang!
I have to bring it back and get one with a door,its way too dangerous for little hands and heads!
Are they all like this?

Yes, gravity has that effect on objects which are not obeying it. What goes up must come down. But seriously can the hands be so little as to not be able to close it without slamming it or having the sense to keep it open with one hand if they are able to open what must be a three kg easily lid and this is after over comming the vacumn caused by the seal. You don't mention if its a half or full size chest freezer but I know of adults who have issues opening the full size ones.

Yes, gravity has that effect on objects which are not obeying it. What goes up must come down. But seriously can the hands be so little as to not be able to close it without slamming it or having the sense to keep it open with one hand if they are able to open what must be a three kg easily lid and this is after over comming the vacumn caused by the seal. You don't mention if its a half or full size chest freezer but I know of adults who have issues opening the full size ones.

Thanks for the unwanted education on how gravity works:p
It is the force at which it comes down that is at issue..
Its a half size, there is an inbuilt handle, the spring will only work when it is half way open,this in effect means that when it is closing,the spring works then suddenly stops working and slams down..it is not the person who is closing it that is causing it to slam shut,it just happens automatically!

Fit a lock on it if you can - A youngster could get into it and not out again.. Or put something heavy on top.

Back