How our bin charges are spent!

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Ever wondered what exactly your bin tax is spent on?
A stroll down to your county council's offices will reveal all.

Decked out like one of Saddam's palaces, it doesn't take much imagination to see what South Dublin County Council have decided to spend tax payers' money on. Even before you enter the building, you are greated by designer water features, handcrafted from granite. Inside the lobby there are many civil servants milling around (some of whom get 'rain' benefit, at taxpayers expense.)

The lavish interior has marble floors and trendy brushed steel staircases and fittings. The receptionists each have wide flat panel monitors and latest, state-of-the-art computers.

Many Irish companies would be hard pressed to keep such an operation running. I doubt even Microsoft out in Sandyford needs such ostentatious decor, or would dream of paying so many to do so little.

Just think, you bin tax probably helped pay for that slab of marble...

Re: money

Well if you are so impressed with it get a job in there and stop moaning.

bucks

cullenswood - become a civil servant? I'd rather work in McDonalds. I would feel greater job satisfaction, and wouldn't have to contend with grades, scales and 50s style management.

Just don't like public money being spent on this.

Re: money

Well if you are so impressed with it get a job in there and stop moaning.
cullenswood, I don't think that's the point slippy fists was making. Does that sort of money need to be spent on an office, that's the question. The revenue office in town looks the same and yet the police stations in most of Dublin are in bits. It's about the correct and efficient allocation of public money.

not a tax

Its not a tax.

Its a charge to dispose of your rubbish!

Re: not a tax

Yeah, I know I probably missed the point but it annoys me when people go "Oh that is where our bin tax is going". I'd be pretty sure none of the bin charges are going there, and also would agree with the poster above by saying it's not a tax, its a charge.

I know its Friday and I shouldn't be ranting....but that really annoys me. Stealh taxes.....there is no such thing as a stealth tax. Ireland has a quite low income tax regime, and thus money needed for other services is charged as you use those services. It is not sneaky or stealth or anything. It is giving people a choice to pay it or not. You do not have to pay your bin charges if you dont want to, and can dispose of your waste yourself at a dump. ( you will be charged for using this dump I know, but again it's a service, so you should be expected to pay for it).
Our tax system gives people the choice. If these "stealth taxes were abolished" and income tax was increased, people would be giving out again saying for example "I only use my bin once every three weeks, why should my income tax pay for those that are emptying their bin every week" and the likes.

Ok rant over, and now I can enjoy my weekend!

Re: not a tax

"The receptionists each have wide flat panel monitors and latest, state-of-the-art computers."

Point noted, I have now replaced all the PC monitors with ball frames and doodle pads. Telephones have been ripped out and replaced with a fleet of racing pidgons. We also thank you for your suggestions on the subject of stairs, these have also been retired and a series of rope ladders now adorn our communist style greeting area.

We thank you for your most enlightened suggestions, and hope you enjoy the new efficient service we will provide to you.

County manager D&R CC

It is giving people a choice to pay it or not. You do not have to pay your bin charges if you dont want to, and can dispose of your waste yourself at a dump.

Except that this isn't the case. Many people are being forced to pay for two years bin tax where they haven't even used the service!

Bin Tags = Good,
Indiscriminate bin tax = Bad
Misappropriation of tax payers' money = Bad

Natchessman - good to hear it!

Ok rant over, and now I can enjoy my weekend!

I bet all civil servants get to go home at ten to four on a Friday as well...

The Post Democratic Era

Sorry to have to tell you that those splendid office dont come from the bin tax

No, No! They mostly come from Dept of Finance ( general taxation ) and Rate Payers

Irish Local Government leads the way in this post democratic era that we live in.

Just consider :

(1) Rate Payers pay up. They have no say in how the money is spent not do they have any form of vote in local elections ( i.e. taxation without representation )

(2) Non Rate Payers have a vote and elect council reps

(3) Councils are run not by elected reps but by an unelected and unaccountable Manager.

How democratic is that ?

Back