How Online gambling transactions affect mortgage application

Does this still apply for this year? To me, it doesn't really affect our ability to pay the mortage if we gamble just for fun. IMO though.

I'd say it does. Weekly credit card usage from pub-based POS terminals was another one. Banks are being very selective; this is just a handy way of knocking someone.

my local atm happens to be outside a molloys off licence...and shows up as that. I could well look like a raging alcoholic, when I take out cash

I used to be involved in personal loan decisions a number of years ago and excessive gambling was taken into account when making a decision even then, so it's not a new thing.

Certainly where I worked €10, €20, €30 here and there was not worried about, even if a few times a week. The amounts being spent on the ones that were declined outright was frightening, and in general would have amounted to the cost of many peoples mortgage payments. The lender I worked for had no 'appetite' to lend to people who decided to gamble away hundreds of euro a month that could have been saved, it was seen as irresponsible financial management.

The worst example I saw was someone looking a €3000 car loan over 3 years, but they could have bought the car outright after 2 months of not gambling...

Note also that credits for winnings were completely disregarded, only the amount of debits were assessed, gambling winnings are not seen as an acceptable source of income!!

My point is that if a bank refuses a loan on the basis that someone gamnbles, BUT DOESN'T TELL THE CUSTOMER the reason then the customer cannot supply relevant extra information, such as that the transactions may have been made on behalf of another person.

So it's a sceret rule, and secret rules disadvantage the consumer, as the consumer cannot be expected to know anything about rules deliberately kept secret.

All banks keep their full underwriting criteria secret to some extent so that customers do not manipulate their accounts/hide expenditure to meet known criteria. The banks need a full and honest account of a customers spending patterns to make a balanced decision on affordability.

Note also that credits for winnings were completely disregarded, only the amount of debits were assessed, gambling winnings are not seen as an acceptable source of income!!

I was wondering about this. I withdrew a few grand at the end of March from my account and I was wondering if this would "offset" the couple of hundred I'd lodged last autumn. Obviously not.

Back