Key Post How much would debt forgiveness cost?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
There have been many estimates

Professor [broken link removed]
“… if you … look at mortgages people have on their own houses, there are about €55 billion of these out there…“ I would reckon that the ultimate cost of this very useful social programme is something in the region of €5 billion to €6 billion.” (Actually there are €116 billion of home loans, so the cost, if his other assumptions are correct, would be around €11 billion). However, back in November he spooked us all with the following prominent forecast "If you thought that the bank bailout was bad, wait until mortgage defaults hit home" . Given that the bank bailout is costing around €55 billion, people assumed that mortgage defaults would be at least that again. In Kilkenny, Professor Kelly forecast that defaults on mortgages in excess of €1m given out to high rolling professionals, would cost in excess of €5 billion. It's hard to reconcile these wildly varying forecasts.

Brian Lucey and Constantin Gurdgiev
and others came up with the following estimate in an Irish Times article on 11 November 2010.
“In the case of Ireland, such a formula would most likely lead to an implicit writedown of at least 30 per cent of the more recent mortgage amounts on average, yielding an expected total cost to the entire system of circa €37 billion to €49 billion.” However, in this Sunday Independent article, Gurdgiev says "I tend to think that around €5bn would do. It depends on how you do it and to what level you do it," he said.

So let's try to figure out what such a programme might cost...

The cost of a debt forgiveness programme would depend on the parameters of the programme.
The cost to the taxpayer would depend on what part of it the taxpayer has to pay - mainly the bit for AIB, EBS & PTSB.
And maybe the taxpayer has paid a deposit on this in the form of the bank recapitalisaitons?

The basic data
Total value of mortgages on owner occupied homes |€116 billion
Number of mortgages| 780,000
Average mortgage| €150,000
Of which, cheap trackers| €58 billion
Taxpayer owned mortgages – AIB, PTSB & EBS|€54 billion
Total value of mortgages in arrears at end March 2011| €9.5 billion
Total arrears |€826 million
Total value of rescheduled mortgages at end March 2011| €6 billion
Provisions already made by AIB, PTSB & EBS| €4.3 billion

Scenario 1 – wipe out all mortgage debt – cost €116 billion

This would leave us all mortgage free and owning our own homes. While no one is proposing this, it is useful to identify the absolute limit of such a scheme.

Scenario 2 - Reduce all mortgages to the current value of the property - €24 billion
These are only estimates.
Houses in negative equity| 300,000
Average mortgage in negative equity| €200,000
Average negative equity|€80,000
Total cost of write-off|€24 billion
Cost to state owned banks |€12 billion
While the state does not have to pay for the losses in banks it does not own, if it directed that negative equity be written off, it would have to compensate those banks to some extent.

Scenario 3 – Write off the negative equity of all first time buyers from 2005 to 2007 - €8 billion
Number of first time buyers| 105,000
Average negative equity| €80,000
Total cost of write-off|€ 8 billion
Cost to state owned banks|€4 billion

Scenario 4 – Write off the mortgage shortfall on 10,000 unsustainable mortgages
- €1 billion
The average loss on an unsustainable mortgage is probably higher than the average negative equity of €80,000 estimated above – say it’s €100,000.
10,000 unsustainable mortgages x €100,000 = €1 billion
The banks have already lost this money. They are not going to get it back anyway. There is no need for the state to compensate Ulster Bank for agreeing to write off the mortgage shortfall.

Scenario 5 – write off the negative equity on all 50,000 mortgages in arrears - €5 billion

50,000 x €100,000 = €5 billion

But hasn’t the state already put €4.3 billion into the banks for these write-offs?
AIB, PTSB and EBS have made provisions of €4.3 billion against potential losses. Based on these and losses from other parts of the book, the taxpayer has had to recapitalise the banks.

This means that the taxpayer won’t have to put any more money into the banks unless the losses actually exceed €4.3 billion.
However, if the losses are a lot less than €4.3 billion, the banks would be able to return this to the taxpayer.

Some people argue “the taxpayer has put €55 billion into the banks – they should use this to write off mortgages”. This argument is invalid. The €55 billion was put in to the banks, in case of heavy losses. If these losses don’t amount to €55 billion, then the banks can refund some of this money.

The significance of cheap trackers
At least half the mortgages in negative equity are cheap trackers. This means that they are less likely to get into arrears.

It also means that the effective negative equity is much lower than the amount reported. If I have a mortgage of €300k on a house worth €200k, I have nominal negative equity of €100k. However, if I have a cheap tracker, my repayments are the same as they would be on a normal mortgage of €250k. So I have effective negative equity of €50k.

Look at it another way, the lender would lose very little by switching the borrower to a stanard variable rate mortgage of €250k.

Brendan,

Are you sure that the figure of 780,000 is for PPR mortgages and not for all mortgages including investment properties?

Excellent post Brendan and it puts the whole issue into proper perspective with accurate estimates.

2005 to 2007? I think it went on to middle of 2008.
A graduated strategy would probably be better over slightly more years

2005 to 2007? I think it went on to middle of 2008.
A graduated strategy would probably be better over slightly more years

Hi monagt

I am not proposing any of the above schemes.

I am simply quantifying what particular schemes would cost.

First Time buyers in those years are about €8 billion under water. If you extend it back a bit or forward a bit, they cost would rise.

I have to say that I was surprised by this particular figure. Most of the sympathy is for first time buyers as they are often trapped in a house which they don't see as their long term home. If someone traded up or refinanced to extend, presumably they are happier in their home.

Brendan,

Inquiries to our office reveal a different scenario in one niche market.

I inspected for three first time buyers (who were renting) who were considering period property at what they they saw as good value.
These prospective buyers appear to be prepared to take out far higher mortgages than one might expect to take advantage of the current market with long term ownership in view.

I am also aware of two young couples who bought houses in what might be termed good locations which were then commanding at or near the million Euro price.
The couples' demographic of both being relatively high earners with no children planned for a few years seemed to be the driver.

There may be other reasons accounting for the significant scale of the first time buyers negative equity.
The bare figures may not reveal any assistance by relatives for the purchase.

ONQ.

How much would debt forgiveness cost the taxpayer?

Have these debts not already been written off? Are we to write them off again?

Is it fair to say that the banks have written these mortgages off via government subsidy and the banks are still looking for them to paid by the mortgage holders?

I think on the Bank's balance sheets they have provisions made on all of these loans. It is their target to get minimum of the value of this provision.
The borrowers target in the future will be to try and get as close to this provision figure in order to get the best deal.
However, any debt forgiveness will be on a case by case basis taking into account all aspects of the borrowers. We have gone through this exercise numerous times and it is like applying for a loan in reverse!

Have these debts not already been written off? Are we to write them off again?

Is it fair to say that the banks have written these mortgages off via government subsidy and the banks are still looking for them to paid by the mortgage holders?

Hi monagt

Using the same argument, we could say that Anglo has provided for 70% of the debt owed to it by developers. Therefore, we should not seek to recover it.

The taxpayer put money into the banks in case the losses would be higher than expected. If the money is recovered from the borrowers, the taxpayer will be able to get a refund.

Back