Key Post How much will you spend in retirement?

We retired in our early 50's. We spend about €30k per annum including holidays. Holiday spend is about €7k. Euro countries mainly. We live frugally enough.....mend and make do.......income about €45k. We are generous to our children and grand children.
We remember the 1p flights from Ryanair fondly and feasted on them.........now no more, but still very reasonable if you shop around and are flexible.
We have had two holidays already this year and going off on our 3rd in a week or so. Already booked for September as well. We keep a nice garden and like Cervelo we also live in Blackrock. It has everything we need locally.
We are actually trying to increase our annual spend and intend to do so, but years of living frugally makes it difficult to splash out.....we now stay in better hotels/apartments when travelling.....we use taxis....something we would never have done......neither of us smoke and we are very light drinkers.....so it goes on nice food.
A few years back we tried a "walk-in" to "That's Amore". I think they are still laughing.

Lots of people coughing in your face, in front of you and in supermarkets etc......same people coughing over the food shelves also. Our son tested positive for Covid this week. A bad dose from the sound of it. It is still out there and doing the rounds. Take care.

What did you do that you could retire at 53 years of age? Did you have a defined benefit or defined contribution pension? Did you own your own business that you could sell?

Very few people are in a position to retire that young. It sounds like you made the most of it!
In 2004 when we decided to take 12 months out (all children through college and working at this stage) and travel the world. Halfway into this voyage, good old Charlie McCreevy decided that Civil Servants could retire from age 50 on an actuarily decreased pension. So worked out the sums, both had been working for a long time (me, 36 years, hubby 33 years).

So, through a combination of defined benefit pensions for both, occupational pensions for me, we had sufficient to carry on travelling a lot of the time.

Roll on 12 years , and I also receive the OAP.

Happy days for us, children, grandchildren, selected charities, local people in need.

Back