how much to tell EA?

joeyd

Hi all, i am meeting an EA today to view a house, I have seen 2 houses the exact same both advertised at 250k. one has a complete turnkey finish ready to walk into the other a builders finish. i am viewing the one with the builders finish later today. do i tell the EA about the other house or ask why both houses that are the exact same (size, layout etc) but to different standard finishes are priced the same? i suppose im wondering what way to approach the topic? i am very interested in the house im seeing today and like the idea of putting my own finishes to it but i would need to get that price down..... any advise,opinions, questions appreciated!

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't tell the EA about the first house. Use this information as a bargaining tool to try and get the price down on the unfinished house. Don't talk actual prices though - tell him that you might consider the house if a more realistic price was put on it given the price of the other house. Let him come back to you with a figure and take your time before offering any price.

thanks for that! i was actually going to leave it that i would come back to them after i consider my options and money etc.... would it be better for them to come to me?

whatever your questions, ask directly and immediately - a house is not a small thingy you buy and ignore if it doesn't suit you, it's a huge expense ... you aren't hurting anybody's feelings, only taking care of your interests.
take initiative, ask, call back, when asking anything of particular importance, have it confirmed in writing ...

Back