How Much To Save?

Recognised by who?

They are only relevant if your investment timeframe is 10 years. If I've got a 20 year timeframe, I've no interest if a short-term dip has dragged the 10 year average performance down.

Liam,

Charlie Fell who writes in the Irish Times quoted a chilling fact the other week. Stocks or equities have now underperformed government bonds over the past 20 years i.e. stocks have now underperformed the relative risk free baseline of bonds over 20 years. The obvious implication of this is why risk it in funds when you can buy government backed bonds that outperform these fee generating devices over 20 years???

article here [broken link removed]

p.s. pension funds charge entry and management charges so the likelyhood is that these have now significantly underperformed a risk free baseline investment over 20 years i.e. ones pension would have been better off in cash or bonds for the past 20 years!!

To actually answer the original query, it is generally recommended that you have 3 to 6 months expenses easily accessible to you. This is in case of job loss / medical emergency / family emergency / house repairs.
Have a separate fun fund for holidays, weekend away, concerts, flying lessons, scuba diving or whatever you are into.

Back