How much to paint house exterior 3bed semi-d?

redstar

Any ideas - ballpark - on how much should a exterior paint job cost. Side of house, front (upstairs level only), rear of house (up and down).?
Dublin area

I can't give you a ballpark figure as I've always painted our house every 3/4 years. I skimped on it one year and painted the huge side of our house with a shop-brand. The shop-brand paint flaked after about 18 months and not only did I have to repaint it with good quality Weathershield paint but I had to scrape the applied paint off, which took ages and more risk dangling from a ladder.

If you are employing a person to paint your house I recommend you buy the paint (Weathershield - Dulux) and ensure the painter uses it. Furthermore, I wouldn't start painting until late April at earliest. Hope this is of help.

Thanks Leper.
Late spring onwards is a good idea.

I'd be looking to hire a painter so was wondering what to expect, price-wise.

Anywhere from €150-€300 per day in the current climate.
Online trades man might be worth a look,where you could get exact quotes.

A set price is always a better approach than daily rate. Longgggggggg tea breaks and longgggggggggg lunch breaks don't apply then :D
If your working for yourself you don’t really get tea or lunch breaks anyway unless the clients are providing it

If your working for yourself you don’t really get tea or lunch breaks anyway unless the clients are providing it

Not everyone works that way. A poor innocent friend of mine employed a carpenter on a day rate who was working for himself to do some work around the house. It went on and on and on. When he arrived in the morning he would ask her to put on the kettle and proceed to have his breakfast on her time before starting work. Started around 9, had a tea break at 11 and long lunch at 1. She was worse to let it go on for a long time.

painter supplies the paint.

Would agree with @Leper on the paint. I was rushing one evening in Woodies and made the bad mistake of buying cheap indoor paint. Had to repaint hall, stairs and landing because of the cheap paint. Won't make that mistake again. Check out which paint they are going to use and like Leper I always found the Dulux Weathershield to be durable.

I had a my 5 bed detached painted recently. Two of the walls were half brick and the other two were fully rendered. The job also included a garage, three walls. Price also included the eaves of the house, window sills etc.

The cost of the painting was €3500 to include VAT. Paint was €1000.

We used Weathershield, Dulux but got our chosen colour specially mixed. Ask to see the Dulux Weathershield Fan Deck from the paint supplier to see a huge range of colours that they can mix for you.

Got some Eastern European painters to paint the a 4 bed semi 3 years ago. I supplied paint and they did the job for 500 cash and a very good job too.
One tip make sure you get test pots and see if colour actually matches the appropriation on the tin.

The advertising for Deluxe Westhershield used to say that it was specially formulated for the Irish climate. I'm not sure how true this is but it certainly gave the best results for me over a number of years.

The shop-brand paint flaked after about 18 months and not only did I have to repaint it with good quality Weathershield paint but I had to scrape the applied paint off, which took ages and more risk dangling from a ladder.
For anyone who has this issue I had to deal with it on a house I bought a few years ago. Every rain shower loosened another square foot or so of paint. Scraping it was a nightmare, and never ending. Gave the entire exterior a coat of Zinnser Peel Stop. Solved the issue in one step. Subsequent coats of Weathershield are rock solid.

Dulux paints have an operation in Commons Road Cork. If you have a problem with their paint they will replace it not questions asked. Excellent to deal with.
Lepers choice was a good one

If you have a problem with their paint
I skimped on it one year and painted the huge side of our house with a shop-brand. The shop-brand paint flaked after about 18 months and not only did I have to repaint it with good quality Weathershield paint but I had to scrape the applied paint off, which took ages and more risk dangling from a ladder.

Its one thing redoing a room in a house but quite another repainting the outside of a house as @Leper mentioned above.

Back