How much to modify alarm system for new windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

extopia

Changing windows to sliding sash, which means we will need two contacts on each window rather than the one that's on each window now.

There are eleven windows being changed. How much should I expect to pay the alarm company (it's one of the major ones) to modify?

The best way of doing these windows is to get the sensor & magnet mounted where the centre of the 2 windows meet that way only only one device is needed.
I would say pay between €400-€500

Hmmm. The company was pretty definite that two would be required, and I've seen many sliding sash windows wired this way. Is there an advantage to having two sensors or is the company just trying to make work for themselves?

1 sensor/contact combined in the crentre is the norm. When the windows are closed the contact & magnet are aligned. If either window moves it will show open.
Anything else is complicating the job.

Sure, it seems to make sense. Just wondered why the company, which is extremely reputable, wants to do it the other way. I'll ask them, of course.

Colm is correct in what he says.

You don't need 2 sensors because the window meeting rails are together when closed so any vibrations will set it off.

The only time you need 2 is if you have a vent-lock system in place.

I would have thought that any good sash window company would know that.

I think its the security company who are pretending they dont know that

I think its the security company who are pretending they dont know that

Ah!

Read the thread again and see you are correct.

Just shined the up the screen so I can read it properly.

That makes no difference to whether to fit 1 device or 2 to the window.

Surely it does? So you can have any sash open a couple of inches and still armed?

I had to have the alarms refitted on all my windows last year after they were replaced, some minor alarm rewiring as well, and it was less than €500.

Surely it does? So you can have any sash open a couple of inches and still armed?

It doesn't have to be . The window is only open a small ammount with the vent open. The inertia sensor on the centre frame will still give you sufficient protection. Unings a single inertia/contact combined is also aesthetically better.

You could consider just putting in a motion sensor in the room instead. If someone breaks in then they'll still have to set that off

Also the alarm will not activate untill someone is actually in the house. A PiR should only be used as a secondry device.

For the record, the company (which is one of the major alarm companies) charged me €454 total. This was to disable the system, remove the old sensors, liaise with the window company and advise them on how to run additional cable through the new window frames, then finally install new magnets and sensors (2 sets per window) and re-enable the system.

I thought this was pretty reasonable.

I would agree with you here extopia that was a fair price for what they did.It's great to see the costs in the service industry coming down with the present situation.A fair price for a fair job no more ripping off.

Did they fit seperate contacts on the windows? or the single device in the way I suggested?
The price was about right anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back