How much to have land held in adverse possesion registered into ones name?

Mogli

Hi Guys, How much can one expect to pay to have land held in adverse possesion registered into your name. The land in question has been held for over 12 years. Any advice on the procedure and costs would be hugely appreciate. Cheers.

I assume you mean solicitors fees and outlay?

If so, I'd say an application for registration based on possession of registered land would be about 1500 plus VAT. If the title were unregistered, the outlays would increas significantly and it would probably be more like 2500 plus VAT. Plus no guarantee of success. Depending on the value of the property, and the use of same, sometimes it's just not worth doing.

The solicitor told me to expect to pay between €3500 to €4500. Land is approx 1/5 acre adjoining a house we are purchasing. Not going to be used for development just addition to garden. Barrister advice, ad in Law Gazzette, trip to court all mentioned as possibilities hence the high fees. Also, she says that bank will lend on the title as is but that she would "have to" proceed with an application to land registry to get the title clearly in our names. Is this the norm?

Sorry, I'm confused. If you are purchasing the house next to the land then surely you haven't had adverse possession for the past 12 years but the person who currently lives there might? Is it not then only them who can apply and then surely the costs should be included in the sale price once the adverse possession has been finalised?

Sometimes more complicated applications are necessary due to the title involved, for eg in a case of a residence where a long lease has expired, an application to purchase the ground rents might be necessary first, then an application for first registration. A commercial property might need arbitration before the county registrar. It really depends on the individual title. It's hard to compare like with like in those circumstances. You can always look for other quotes but you would need to be very specific about the title involved, to the extent of showing it to the solicitor to get a quote.

Yes Vanilla. nail on the head, it is a bit complicated.

Derek, I am told that the previous owner's claim of adverse possesion can be transferred to me.

If it's unregistered land, get moving - registration fees are going up significantly soon - from €85 to €500

New Fees

If it's unregistered land, get moving - registration fees are going up significantly soon - from €85 to €500

New Fees

That is a massive increase, though in fairness to the PRAI, it is an application which requires an examiner of titles to spend quite a bit of time on it. Much more complicated than most sales/transfers which used to command a much higher fee.

Back